Is left back really a problem?

IMO, left back is a huge, huge problem - our biggest by far. I've little confidence in any of our left backs to defend, with the possible exception of Ake.
===
Mendy is a massive defensive liability nearly always - sometimes he can deliver a great cross on offense; Zinchenko is far better on defense than Mendy, but not great - on offense he's so-so; Ake - haven't seen a lot of him... but strikes me as better on defense than ZInchekno and a bit better on offense too... but not worthy of a starting LB position on a team striving to be world best (which takes nothing away from Ake as he's a sort of utility CB/LB squad player and may be perfect in that role).

Lots of different opinions on this.

A problem maybe... a priority? Not for me.

Mine is that Fernandinho's role is far far more important than yet another guy that can play left back. Once we have a younger Fern you will see the knock on effect for the whole team. Zakaria, once fit, is probably the man to do the job and is where our money should go if there is a conflict. Fern is 35 he can't last much longer and Rodri does a different job.

A distant second is a new striker as Aguero is getting on.

Only then would I look at a position that can be covered by Ake Cancelo Mendy Zin etc. I've not given up on Mendy yet.

Last edited:
Lots of different opinions on this.

A problem maybe... a priority? Not for me.

Mine is that Fernandinho's role is far far more important than yet another guy that can play left back. Once we have a younger Fern you will see the knock on effect for the whole team. Zakaria, once fit, is probably the man to do the job and is where our money should go if there is a conflict. Fern is 35 he can't last much longer and Rodri does a different job.

A distant second is a new striker as Aguero is getting on.

Only then would I look at a position that can be covered by Ake Mendy Zin etc. I've not given up on Mendy yet.
Possibly Dionkou could try his hand there too.

As proven in 2018 and 2019 (and perhaps 2012 and 2014), if the other 10 provide the right balance then we can get by very nicely without a 'world-class' or even recognised left-back. Strange but I have felt more comfortable with anyone but Mendy for most of the recent games

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.