Is left back really a problem?

Does anybody have the stats to show how many of our goals conceded come from our left hand side ?

It does appear that there is a definite bias towards us being attacked from that side of the pitch .

Its also when the defence has to shift left to cover, this means the goals will end up coming from our right side as everyone is dragged out of position. A bit like when Ake plays.

I thought we might've tried 3 at the back allowing cancelo to play further forward. So stones dias laporte with walker/cancelo further forward or even walker in that 3 which is a role he's played for England to add a bit of pace. Who knows maybe we will at some point what do I know.
We did try 3 didn't we? Pretty sure that was when Leicester pulled us apart.

3 at the back is incredibly difficult to pull off, can be fantastic if it works but dont think Pep sees a value in that.

Does anybody have the stats to show how many of our goals conceded come from our left hand side ?

It does appear that there is a definite bias towards us being attacked from that side of the pitch .

The goals come down our left because the right is impenetrable with Walker and Dias. Teams have legitimately stopped trying to get past Walker now and so they focus all their attention on the left, even moving people across to be unbalanced.

Cancelo and Laporte could both do better, but it's a bit of a self-perpetuating thing. We concede down the left and you can't get past Walker so everyone focuses on attacking our left, which means we concede down the left.

The goals come down our left because the right is impenetrable with Walker and Dias. Teams have legitimately stopped trying to get past Walker now and so they focus all their attention on the left, even moving people across to be unbalanced.

Cancelo and Laporte could both do better, but it's a bit of a self-perpetuating thing. We concede down the left and you can't get past Walker so everyone focuses on attacking our left, which means we concede down the left.

I think if we shifted Dias over to LCB things would tighten up.

I don’t think he will though as that would he 4 right footed defenders till Zinchenkos back and Pep likes balance for the build up.

So that being the case, if we could find a solution to the left back issue, we would be stronger than we currently are and possibly conceed fewer goals.

I guess the issue is how much we would have to pay for a left back who would be good enough for the team.

I don’t think he will though as that would he 4 right footed defenders till Zinchenkos back and Pep likes balance for the build up.
It's one of those things in do you go with better defenders or players better on the ball. Dias may be better defensively on the left, but Laporte's build up is excellent. There was a moment where we were in our own half against Pool where as soon as the ball got to Laporte he pinged a risky pass right down the middle, but it instantly got us out of danger. Dias is right footed and isn't as good and with Ake playing it's night and day. Against Southampton one of the reasons we looked so shit was because Laporte wasn't in the game to play out from the back. Against high pressing sides Laporte and Cancelo on the left is better. If we play a side that will sit back there is probably not as much as a need for it.

So that being the case, if we could find a solution to the left back issue, we would be stronger than we currently are and possibly conceed fewer goals.

I guess the issue is how much we would have to pay for a left back who would be good enough for the team.

No not necessarily. We have the best defensive record in Europe for most of 2021 i dint think we are going to make many gains by getting a LB.

I agree Laporte is in the team until Zinchenko is fit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.