Is Manchester a tough place to live in?

I'm pretty sure that Manchester's weather's getting milder. I remember growing up and the winters were fucking freezing. Haven't lived there for a very long time but in recent winters when I've been back I've never felt truly cold, if I've got a decent overcoat on. On the other hand, I sometimes stay with friends out at Oldham (and right up on the hill above Oldham) and it's pretty bloody freezing there at times.

I don't think it's a tough place to live, the City centers improved immeasurably in the last 20 years, Ancoats, NQ, Castlefield, Spinningfield and around the town all have great places to eat and drink.

I don't mind the weather, happy to sit with the woodburner on in Winter and watch a few films, if it was sunny all day every day I'd be a lot less committed to sitting in front of a computer 8 hours a day for work.

The surrounding countryside is wonderful as well.

HOWEVER, if I was a millionaire footballer with no other commitments than training for 3 hours of a morning, I'd want to be in a sunny back garden with a pool or be out on my yacht.

Perhaps the best way to answer the Op's question is to count how many frogs there are.

just had an hour or two in town walking about with my kids. Fuck me I felt normal. Not many people not with duck lips, tattoos everywhere dressed as oddballs or scallies. Think I was the only man on market street wearing allesandro gallet shoes. Can no one make an effort these days?

just had an hour or two in town walking about with my kids. Fuck me I felt normal. Not many people not with duck lips, tattoos everywhere dressed as oddballs or scallies. Think I was the only man on market street wearing allesandro gallet shoes. Can no one make an effort these days?
Bastard have I missed the Blue Moon meet up ? Why didn't somebody say.

Who wouldn't want duck lips or a man bun ?

FB_IMG_1601147077181.jpgFB_IMG_1583795831904.jpg

London is a World City, I get that. You make it sound like Manchester is a tiny back water town. Get a grip, we have some amazing restaurants, an airport in the top 20 busiest in Europe (pre pandemic) and some amazing bars? I suppose it rains a few less days a year in London, it’s hardly Miami though. Sorry your post did make me chuckle.
I left Manchester over 40 years ago and haven't missed it one bit. Since my mam died, I've only ever gone back to watch City.

I've lived in (that) London, and lived in/worked for longer than a few weeks, a good number of other cities in UK and Europe over the years. in my humble opinion, Manchester comes very low down on my list of places to live in Europe. All cities/major towns have their problems - the smaller the city, the more concentrated the problems.

Manchester is a small and often dangerous city to live, with more police 'no go areas' in the suburbs than you can shake a stick at. The "amazing restaurants" (compared to London and major European cities they're definitely not amazing) and bars, provide no more than a superficial sheen over an otherwise unexciting city.

Everywhere has drug problems nowadays, but the people of Manchester apparently have to tolerate public displays of wandering spiceheads etc around the city - If that happened in Southern Europe, the people would have insisted something was done about it, and it would be.

Airports, wherever they are located, are no more than travel hubs. They're not a measure of a great city; they're hop-off points for travellers. It's like saying that Luton and Crawley are great places.

For me, the only things positive about Manchester are City, and the fact that it's not as bad as Birmingham or Liverpool.

I left Manchester over 40 years ago and haven't missed it one bit. Since my mam died, I've only ever gone back to watch City.

I've lived in (that) London, and lived in/worked for longer than a few weeks, a good number of other cities in UK and Europe over the years. in my humble opinion, Manchester comes very low down on my list of places to live in Europe. All cities/major towns have their problems - the smaller the city, the more concentrated the problems.

Manchester is a small and often dangerous city to live, with more police 'no go areas' in the suburbs than you can shake a stick at. The "amazing restaurants" (compared to London and major European cities they're definitely not amazing) and bars, provide no more than a superficial sheen over an otherwise unexciting city.

Everywhere has drug problems nowadays, but the people of Manchester apparently have to tolerate public displays of wandering spiceheads etc around the city - If that happened in Southern Europe, the people would have insisted something was done about it, and it would be.

Airports, wherever they are located, are no more than travel hubs. They're not a measure of a great city; they're hop-off points for travellers. It's like saying that Luton and Crawley are great places.

For me, the only things positive about Manchester are City, and the fact that it's not as bad as Birmingham or Liverpool.

You are lucky. Living in a Town with few drug issues or hundreds of murders a year

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.