Is Manchester a tough place to live in?

I left Manchester over 40 years ago and haven't missed it one bit. Since my mam died, I've only ever gone back to watch City.

I've lived in (that) London, and lived in/worked for longer than a few weeks, a good number of other cities in UK and Europe over the years. in my humble opinion, Manchester comes very low down on my list of places to live in Europe. All cities/major towns have their problems - the smaller the city, the more concentrated the problems.

Manchester is a small and often dangerous city to live, with more police 'no go areas' in the suburbs than you can shake a stick at. The "amazing restaurants" (compared to London and major European cities they're definitely not amazing) and bars, provide no more than a superficial sheen over an otherwise unexciting city.

Everywhere has drug problems nowadays, but the people of Manchester apparently have to tolerate public displays of wandering spiceheads etc around the city - If that happened in Southern Europe, the people would have insisted something was done about it, and it would be.

Airports, wherever they are located, are no more than travel hubs. They're not a measure of a great city; they're hop-off points for travellers. It's like saying that Luton and Crawley are great places.

For me, the only things positive about Manchester are City, and the fact that it's not as bad as Birmingham or Liverpool.
I moved away 6 years ago and have am fairly well travelled.
Irrelevant to all the issues I miss the place like mad and would move back in a
Flash. To be fair everywhere’s a shithole.

You are lucky. Living in a Town with few drug issues or hundreds of murders a year
I don't live in London any more. Moved away over 15 years ago. It's a bad place at times but I never felt particularly 'unsafe' anywhere I went other than Millwall on a match day.
London murders are predominantly gang-related, and anyone with half a brain knows to avoid the areas where they are likely to happen.

I don't live in London any more. Moved away over 15 years ago. It's a bad place at times but I never felt particularly 'unsafe' anywhere I went other than Millwall on a match day.
London murders are predominantly gang-related, and anyone with half a brain knows to avoid the areas where they are likely to happen.

It's the same the World over
Went to Millwall a fair few times. It was wonderful.

I left Manchester over 40 years ago and haven't missed it one bit. Since my mam died, I've only ever gone back to watch City.

I've lived in (that) London, and lived in/worked for longer than a few weeks, a good number of other cities in UK and Europe over the years. in my humble opinion, Manchester comes very low down on my list of places to live in Europe. All cities/major towns have their problems - the smaller the city, the more concentrated the problems.

Manchester is a small and often dangerous city to live, with more police 'no go areas' in the suburbs than you can shake a stick at. The "amazing restaurants" (compared to London and major European cities they're definitely not amazing) and bars, provide no more than a superficial sheen over an otherwise unexciting city.

Everywhere has drug problems nowadays, but the people of Manchester apparently have to tolerate public displays of wandering spiceheads etc around the city - If that happened in Southern Europe, the people would have insisted something was done about it, and it would be.

Airports, wherever they are located, are no more than travel hubs. They're not a measure of a great city; they're hop-off points for travellers. It's like saying that Luton and Crawley are great places.

For me, the only things positive about Manchester are City, and the fact that it's not as bad as Birmingham or Liverpool.
So basically you judging Manchester on a few fleeting visits. A 2.5 million conurbation isn’t classed as a small City in European terms and a new skyline to rival Rotterdam or Milan is a sign of welcome investment and confidence. I have also lived in (that) London and after returning to Manchester I now realised what a chronic hole London is. The world class restaurants and bars gloss over the miserable inhabitants that survive everyday. Manchester has problems, of course we agree on that, I’m sure the southern cities of Marseille and Naples have now solved all their issues due the “people” having their say

Reactions: CC1
A

A random and largely unbalanced view of the City which could be equally matched by subjective descriptions of current conditions in London and places like New York.

Yeah, but Haaland (if he joins) isn't really going to be affected by any of Manchester's problems. He's not going to be living in an area where you have to kick those little gas cannisters out the way when he steps out the door to go to training.

Impressive your match day experience takes in all those rough areas, stay safe brother the next time you visit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.