Is my cellar fit for purpose

It does have space, but it is currently blocked by a cement slab. Not sure why, here is a video https://imgur.com/gallery/cellar-qyu3keq
Looks OK that.

The big issue with cellars is the air quality is poor even if its not damp. To make it livable you need to fully tank it so you would have to dig down to then build up a floor with a membrane that links up the walls and get enough headroom. You also need ventilation and heating. It's all very expensive to a liveable standard. Looks good as it is though, you could tank it as it is and install a fan and it would be a great storage space.

Last edited:
why do you need it livable in? you planning to setup an HMO and fill full of students/immigrants (delete as appropriate)

Not liveable per se, I just meant usable space beyond storage, I'm planning on creating a gym down there, nothing fancy

To make the room livable, based on UK legislation the two main points are how would you be able to get out if a fire happened in the other part of the dwelling. UK Building regs if it’s a habitable room, such as a gym, you either need to direct access out via a suitably sized window or a door or alternative create a protected stairway within the dwelling.

And it is properly tanked to prevent moisture ingress.

Tough to resolve those points if the cellar is fully under the ground and then the added issue of ventilating the room .

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.