Is obesity a disease?...

It's no more a disease than being a smoker is a disease. It can lead to a lot of diseases though.

It's a bit rich to blame individuals entirely though. Yeah obviously if they really put in a lot of effort, they could probably lose weight and get fit, but we've created a world where it takes more effort to be healthy than unhealthy. Especially in North America. My sister lives in Canada and you basically can't get anywhere useful without a car. Every shop is in a massive retail park so you can park right outside. Everyone goes to work and spends most of the day sat on their arse. And then they go home and eat processed food where even the low fat options are laced with sugar. I mean sugar in kids' milk. When did that happen? And obviously the solution is to eat fresh food, but people opting for convenience is mainly a result of no longer having one member of the family staying home to prepare fresh meals, so it does take more effort and planning to shop for and prepare a fresh meal every day after an 8 hour shift. So yeah, there's a bit of personal responsibility involved of course, but it's also massively down to urban planning and the food industry that place personal convenience above everything else. It's not a secret why countries where it's easy to cycle, everyone cycles to work and they don't get as fat. Whereas if you want to cycle to work in the UK, there are more immediate risks that heart disease.

As for a mental illness, well I'm sure there are a minority of people who have underlying issues, but the explosion in obesity, and on a wider scale people generally being a bit fat is not caused by mental illness. If that was true, then we'd be saying that mental health issues have massively increased over the past few decades, and coincidentally, it just happens to have occurred in the countries that eat the most processed shit and get the least exercise. But don't worry everyone, we'll have a free trade deal with America soon, so we can look forward to it getting much worse. Look at what happened to the Pacific island populations when they started importing huge amounts of processed food. Up to 50% of adults obese. 30-40% diabetic.
You've saved me typing out a long post. Thanks!

But yeah, as with anything in my opinion any major shifts in societal behaviours/conditions/etc are almost certainly predominantly environmental. There's a reason more people are in bad shape than ever and it's not because people have changed. We're exactly the same species we were thousands of years ago.

Simple education from a younger age might not take much effect too soon but I believe in the long term it'll make a huge difference. Also if the FA could stop being sponsored by McDonald's and Budweiser that'd be lovely.

It's no more a disease than being a smoker is a disease. It can lead to a lot of diseases though.

It's a bit rich to blame individuals entirely though. Yeah obviously if they really put in a lot of effort, they could probably lose weight and get fit, but we've created a world where it takes more effort to be healthy than unhealthy. Especially in North America. My sister lives in Canada and you basically can't get anywhere useful without a car. Every shop is in a massive retail park so you can park right outside. Everyone goes to work and spends most of the day sat on their arse. And then they go home and eat processed food where even the low fat options are laced with sugar. I mean sugar in kids' milk. When did that happen? And obviously the solution is to eat fresh food, but people opting for convenience is mainly a result of no longer having one member of the family staying home to prepare fresh meals, so it does take more effort and planning to shop for and prepare a fresh meal every day after an 8 hour shift. So yeah, there's a bit of personal responsibility involved of course, but it's also massively down to urban planning and the food industry that place personal convenience above everything else. It's not a secret why countries where it's easy to cycle, everyone cycles to work and they don't get as fat. Whereas if you want to cycle to work in the UK, there are more immediate risks that heart disease.

As for a mental illness, well I'm sure there are a minority of people who have underlying issues, but the explosion in obesity, and on a wider scale people generally being a bit fat is not caused by mental illness. If that was true, then we'd be saying that mental health issues have massively increased over the past few decades, and coincidentally, it just happens to have occurred in the countries that eat the most processed shit and get the least exercise. But don't worry everyone, we'll have a free trade deal with America soon, so we can look forward to it getting much worse. Look at what happened to the Pacific island populations when they started importing huge amounts of processed food. Up to 50% of adults obese. 30-40% diabetic.
A very fair assessment

No, I was 10-11 stone from 21 until 36, I then stopped cycling daily and got a less active job, since I am at a weight considered just over the limit to be classed as obese ( just a beer gut tbf).
I could exercise more and start cycling again amd lose the extra weight, but I cannot be arsed so it isn't a disease it's laziness.

Also some people are just born fatter than others .

I think people are too quick too throw obesity un with eating disorders or mental heqth issues that lead to weight gain, which are a genuine medical conditions, becoming fat just becaue you do with no underlying issue isn't a disease.

How many fit people ie footballers, from foe to ginola have problems it’s in your genes. Fucking hell my nana lived on dripping sandwich’s and lived till 94. Eat drink smoke what you want fuck the do-Gooder’s:)

It IS NOT a fucking disease. You sound like fucking Liverpool fans. Someone else’s fault is it that you’re a fat fuck? It’s easier to blame it on something and have a pity party than get off your arse and do something that makes you sweat.

Nosebagitis is what it’s called. When I gave up the fags in 2003 I fell victim to it. I convinced myself that it was just a natural thing for a while and would actually pull up mybwife about shrinking my jumpers in the wash.

The truth was I was a greedy fat ****. I cut down my drinking, cut out all the crap and was finally able to catch my reflection in a shop window without wishing a ten tonne truck would’ve run into me.

Fucking thing would probably have bounced off me.

It was all down to me. Every mouthful.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.