Is our 1st team squad too small?

kippax_blueboy

If we had scored another couple of penalties against Real Madrid we would have been playing Bayern tomorrow night in Munich.

Yesterday with only Phil and Dias out of the squad, Pep played Doku on the right. He could have played Oscar Bobb or Micha Hamilton but maybe he thought he needed the experience of Doku with Bernado playing inside because Phil was ill.
If we were playing Bayern tomorrow then yesterday maybe KDB or Bernado would have been rested.
I think we are lacking another forward who can play anywhere across the front six like Phil and Bernado can or another right sided midfielder.

Everywhere else we have enough cover but right side of midfield we lack cover.

Nope, most of the squad get a decent amount of game time which keeps them happy, anymore bodies would mean players spitting their dummies out. Most of our players are versatile so covering certain positions shouldn't be a problem.

Pep's idea of only having 17 or so first-team players is amazingly small for the achievements we have won
I would like more players and not cover squad players, Fighting for places keeps the players on their toes.

This summer transfer window will be like a revolving door of ins and outs, Pep and City need a rebuild and players who have given everything possible over the last 5 years will be asked the question, We all know what's coming and KDB Stones Walker Silva could all leave right at the top,

Squad size isn't the issue. It's depth of quality that's the concern. Clearly some players just aren't trusted to step in (Nunes, Gomez) and others are a downgrade on the player they replaced.

We've quietly overhauled our squad over the last year without the implosion that would happen at other clubs.

Is it small? Yes
Has it usually worked? Yes

I do think if you keep a smaller squad, it’s a bit easier to entice players as they know they’ll get playing time. But it means you need the absolute right players. And it’s hard with a smaller squad to give newer players the time to fully integrate without fans getting frustrated.

It’s also easier to do in some positions - I think the numbers and types of players we have right now for defensive works well. However, I still think a lot of people feel even the rotation we have on the defense has led to a drop in quality.

Ultimately, this is decision for Pep. I want him to have the size and type squad he feels best able to coach successfully.

It's small because Phillips was trash and Nunes is becoming not deemed good enough to trust by Pep.

Gomez is included in this as well.

Kovacic is another one that Pep only really seems to trust as an impact to calm things down rather than an out and out starter.

I think this summer we will see lots of change and Pep will really start to enforce the next evolution of a new city team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.