Is our 1st team squad too small?

with the new format in the Champions league coming in then for sure we need additional quality bodies. Plus some mainstays will be another year older and more prone to fatigue/injuries. So for me yes we need 3 players ( and thats without any departures )

If we were playing Bayern Munich tomorrow this would have been a problem.I agree Gomez and Nunez are passengers in this team.
Yesterday if Pep trusted Nunez he would have played him. He barely trusts Doku on the left but was forced to play him on the right.
Rodri and Alvarez have to play every game.
We need 3 strikers, a right sided midfielder and cover for Rodri.
22 world class players.

Yet ask any other football fan on the planet and they would say we have the largest squad in world football, without batting an eyelid…
For me it’s the injuries and you can’t legislate for them unfortunately.. Peps got the squad size bang on for me ..

I said the other week that I think we need at least 2 additions to the squad before we lose any players in the Summer.

We have to take into account the extra Champions League games next season and I think you're going to have to maintain good form in that competition to ensure you are highly seeded going into the knockouts. Maybe only if you guarantee top 8 early could you look to rest players in any of the 8 league stage games

It's small because Phillips was trash and Nunes is becoming not deemed good enough to trust by Pep.

Gomez is included in this as well.

Kovacic is another one that Pep only really seems to trust as an impact to calm things down rather than an out and out starter.

I think this summer we will see lots of change and Pep will really start to enforce the next evolution of a new city team.
Neither Kovacic nor Nunes will go, lumping Nunes in with Phillips is premature and likely wrong.
The only players that will leave through our choice are Phillips Cancelo , Gomes. Those 3 will be replaced after that we can’t bring anyone in unless players we don’t want to leave,like Bernardo and Ortega, leave.

We need cover for Rodri as well.

We do. It's so difficult though. Firstly Rodri is so good that even someone half as good is still a quality player that's probably a starter at a good team, so you really need a seriously good player to be happy to start on the bench for almost every game.

Or ideally we get a cover for Rodri that's also capable of playing a bit more advanced too. Then they'd probably get more game time than just a straight cover for Rodri. That'd be more appealing I reckon.

Of course, playing for City is very appealing, but if you're coming in knowing you're just a back up for Rodri then you know you're barely playing. Not so easy to attract the kind of quality required for back up rodri when their opportunities are so limited

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.