IS she entitled to half??

Yea, I see where your coming from regarding the little un, Hes not mine, but I do love him... ANd I would never make him homeless, which is the main reason i let her fucking move in with me...
I do feel a bit better though after the responses, so thanks for that...
Ill let you know if she screws me!!!!!!!

I am a lawyer.

Upon leaving, your ex will not be entitled to anything she has not contributed towards.

That is to say should she have contributed to the mortgage then she will, in effect, be able to realise that and ask that you pay her any such contibutions back.

General bills do not count, only the mortgage and any significant improvement to the property.

Assuming her child is not yours, she is not registered on the property title and there are no contributions as said above, you need not worry.

Slaviniho said:
I am a lawyer.

Upon leaving, your ex will not be entitled to anything she has not contributed towards.

That is to say should she have contributed to the mortgage then she will, in effect, be able to realise that and ask that you pay her any such contibutions back.

General bills do not count, only the mortgage and any significant improvement to the property.

Assuming her child is not yours, she is not registered on the property title and there are no contributions as said above, you need not worry.

Cheers, thats the response i wanted off someone truly in the know...
And thanks again to the rest of you as well... BIG HELP....

You are welcome.

To everyone else, there is currently no such thing as "common law" when it comes to cohabitation and the same is a myth. That is not to say the Court's viewpoint may not one day change, however as it stands common law marriage is a myth in this Country.

It may also be beneficial to never make promises to women you live with regarding ownership such "as whats mine is yours etc....", unlikley but this potentially may come back to haunt you and there was a case that reached the Court of Appeal where a girlfriend was awarded 50% of the property value under such a promise, that said she had bore the child of the property owner!

Morale of the story don't promise them anything as when it goes sour such a promise may come back to haunt you!!

Slaviniho said:
You are welcome.

To everyone else, there is currently no such thing as "common law" when it comes to cohabitation and the same is a myth. That is not to say the Court's viewpoint may not one day change, however as it stands common law marriage is a myth in this Country.

It may also be beneficial to never make promises to women you live with regarding ownership such "as whats mine is yours etc....", unlikley but this potentially may come back to haunt you and there was a case that reached the Court of Appeal where a girlfriend was awarded 50% of the property value under such a promise, that said she had bore the child of the property owner!

Morale of the story don't promise them anything as when it goes sour such a promise may come back to haunt you!!

Resulting and constructive trust cases are often illogical and unfair!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.