Is the squad weaker since Mancini took charge?

No.....and although Shay is a decent keeper i wouldn't say he is world class either. I like the idea of getting the kid from Boro,you dont have to shop at Harrods all the time !

Soulboy said:
rkmrecordz said:
not sure if we got weaker but i do believe that MHughes could have gotten us 6-2 over these past 8 games. I am not saying Mancini isn't a good coach but i do believe we're not going to play as attractive as we did under Hughes simply bc he's more focused on defense. Yes defense is important but 0-0 scores won't get us in the champions league

We've not had a 0-0 since Mancini arrived... have we? Or am I missing something?

We are scoring more regularly than under Hughes, we have won 6 out of 8 games... something that Hughes failed to acieve in more than double that number of games.

And we are playing far more attrractive stuff!

It's 9 draws on the trot that might stop us getting in the Champions League!

we were expected to beat all those teams except Man U... i do think we played more attacking football under m hughes. My point is that Mancini is more concerned with keeping clean sheets than anything else...and i am not sure if a defensive minded team can make it to the champions league. @ this point, we need to blow teams out by 3 or 4 goals so we can prove that we belong. just my opinion

If the owners would of let mancini go out and spend the cash we would be 10times stronger, unfortunetely from what i have gathered they haven't, basically because a new manager could be here in 4 months who might not of wanted those signings.

pee dubyas crayons said:
Seems to me like the squad is getting weaker since Mancini took charge.

Bye bye Robinho arguably our only world class talent apart from Shay Given

Adam Johnson - great player in the Championship but I'd have Weiss in the squad over him any day

Vieira - big name, but arguably past his best and in a position we dont need strengthened

I realise that Robinho and Weiss are both technically City players, but I'm talking about the here and now - this season we must break the top 4 or our chance will likely be gone.

It's only a matter of time until some rich Sheik buys Liverpool or Villa, or god forbid the rags.

Maybe I should wait for the very end of the window to say this but I'm getting extremely nervous and confused with this lack of transfer activity into the club.

There are pessimistic fans and then there are complete idiots.

I wouldn't call you pessimistic.

rkmrecordz said:
not sure if we got weaker but i do believe that MHughes could have gotten us 6-2 over these past 8 games. I am not saying Mancini isn't a good coach but i do believe we're not going to play as attractive as we did under Hughes simply bc he's more focused on defense. Yes defense is important but 0-0 scores won't get us in the champions league

ask any football pundit/expert and they'll all say the same, the teams at the top of the pile season after season are the ones with the best defences.
with our forward line you will definately not see many 0-0 draws mate.

No. It is stronger in that Mancini makes much better use of the squad.

Robbie has been away with the fairies for a while so better out than in. Players that have not been used at all or featured fleetingly have responded well when called upon (yes even Benjani) and young talent from the ranks (Boyata) has been bloodied and look excellent.

In a real sense Mancini has increased the size of the squad through his willingness to utilse players that would never have featured under Hughes which gives him greater options and allows him to cope with injuries to key players. Mancini can actually coach players as well which is light years away from the previous managers tactics of 'got a problem' = 'buy a player'; 'still got a problem' = 'buy more players' and repeat.

rkmrecordz said:
Soulboy said:
We've not had a 0-0 since Mancini arrived... have we? Or am I missing something?

We are scoring more regularly than under Hughes, we have won 6 out of 8 games... something that Hughes failed to acieve in more than double that number of games.

And we are playing far more attrractive stuff!

It's 9 draws on the trot that might stop us getting in the Champions League!

we were expected to beat all those teams except Man U... i do think we played more attacking football under m hughes. My point is that Mancini is more concerned with keeping clean sheets than anything else...and i am not sure if a defensive minded team can make it to the champions league. @ this point, we need to blow teams out by 3 or 4 goals so we can prove that we belong. just my opinion

We were also expected to beat Burnley, Hull, Bolton, Fulham and Brum... but didn't.

So why were we "expected" to beat Wolves, Stoke and Blackburn.

And when did Hughes team blow teams out of the water with 4 goal victories?

I think you have some very confused memories of Hughes team this season...

Just my opinion.

I don't think the squad is any weaker. Probably only the injuries which weaken us down but that didn't stop Mancini from winning.
When Mark Hughes was in-charged, even with first team, he couldn't even win clubs like Hull and Stoke.
To me, Mancini is definitely better than Mark Hughes.

BobKowalski said:
No. It is stronger in that Mancini makes much better use of the squad.

Robbie has been away with the fairies for a while so better out than in. Players that have not been used at all or featured fleetingly have responded well when called upon (yes even Benjani) and young talent from the ranks (Boyata) has been bloodied and look excellent.

In a real sense Mancini has increased the size of the squad through his willingness to utilse players that would never have featured under Hughes which gives him greater options and allows him to cope with injuries to key players. Mancini can actually coach players as well which is light years away from the previous managers tactics of 'got a problem' = 'buy a player'; 'still got a problem' = 'buy more players' and repeat.
Superb post

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.