Isle of Mull

RACHACE

http://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=409471
Morning Blues

Me and the wife are doing Scotland as our main holiday this year. 13 nights from 12th June.

Loch Lomond 4 nights
Isle of Mull 3 nights
Isle of Skye 3 nights
Edinburgh (on the lash) 3 nights

The only part of the trip that's causing us any concern is the isle of mull. We can't seem to find accommodation that we really like at a price we're willing to pay. On booking.com the choices are slim so we're now thinking it might be better to stay outside of the isle itself and take trips onto the island. However that might be time consuming and there's also ferry costs to consider.

Have any of you been up that way that can pass a little wisdom our way please?

My initial thoughts are maybe to stay in Oban. Have 2 trips to the Isle of Mull and maybe a trip to Glencoe rather than spend the full 3 days on the Ise of Mull. Don't want to miss out on what the Isle of Mull has to offer though.

Any help appreciated, cheers

Morning Blues

Me and the wife are doing Scotland as our main holiday this year. 13 nights from 12th June.

Loch Lomond 4 nights
Isle of Mull 3 nights
Isle of Skye 3 nights

The only part of the trip that's causing us any concern is the isle of mull. We can't seem to find accommodation that we really like at a price we're willing to pay. On booking.com the choices are slim so we're now thinking it might be better to stay outside of the isle itself and take trips onto the island. However that might be time consuming and there's also ferry costs to consider.

My initial thoughts are maybe to stay in Oban. Have 2 trips to the Isle of Mull and maybe a trip to Glencoe rather than spend the full 3 days on the Ise of Mull. Don't want to miss out on what the Isle of Mull has to offer though.

I'm no expert on the place but went up there for my sister and her fella's wedding - if it's for sightseeing, I'm sure you could wra it into a day.

From memory, there was a castle (the one from Entrapment), those bright coloured houses that are on a kids TV programme and a few boozers.

Not much else sticks out in my head.

Apologies that I've not answered any of your questions but it's the slightest bit of knowl I have on the place..........

Cheers mate, I should have put a bit more meat on the bones.

On the Isle of Mull we fancy driving around as much of it as we can, stopping to do a few walking trails around the Isle. A trip to Tobermory is on the agenda as are trips to islands just off the Isle (Iona and Staffa).

If we can do that in 2 days based in Oban then that will leave us a day to go to Glencoe which I've heard is a must whilst up there.

It's whether being based in Oban rather than on the Isle itself will be too time consuming.

On the Isle of Mull we fancy driving around as much of it as we can, stopping to do a few walking trails around the Isle. A trip to Tobermory is on the agenda as are trips to islands just off the Isle (Iona and Staffa).

If we can do that in 2 days based in Oban then that will leave us a day to go to Glencoe which I've heard is a must whilst up there.

It's whether being based in Oban rather than on the Isle itself will be too time consuming.

I’m planning the same trip in June (3 days in Mull - with trips to Iona and Staffa). Planning to do it last minute, so I’ve got some sort of handle on the weather - in short it’s beautiful if the sun’s out, but decidedly less so if it ain’t - and accommodation looks like it might be an issue for us as well. Went to Loch Lomond and Glencoe last September. Again, stunning scenery. If you’re going to Loch Lomond, the view from Conic Hill is superb (takes about 45 mins to walk up it - and be careful on the way down; the missus went arse over tit twice). Glencoe is a spectacular valley, but you can see it all in one hit. Glen Etive, which is tucked in behind Glencoe, is far more rewarding. A 13 mile drive down a single track road, with passing places every couple hundred yards, to the Loch (Etive). If the sun’s out and the deer are about, it’s stunning. Midges can be a bastard between May and August apparently, so be prepared! Kilchurn Castle and Castle Stalker are both near Oban as well. Beautiful at sunrise/sunset.

If you’re then driving up to Skye from Oban, which is a bloody long way (maybe 3 hours to Eileen Donan, 4 hours to Portree, 5 hours to the Quirang), you might want to take a short detour to the Glenfinnan Viaduct and Monument. The ‘Harry Potter‘ steam train goes over it mid morning and mid afternoon - you’d have to check the times; it goes from Fort William to Mallaig - which makes for a great photo opportunity.

Grateful for any recommendations trip and accommodation wise, once you get back!

Last edited:

Tent?

I’m planning the same trip in June (3 days in Mull - with trips to Iona and Staffa). Planning to do it last minute, so I’ve got some sort of handle on the weather - in short it’s beautiful if the sun’s out, but decidedly less so if it ain’t - and accommodation looks like it might be an issue for us as well. Went to Loch Lomond and Glencoe last September. Again, stunning scenery. If you’re going to Loch Lomond, the view from Conic Hill is superb (takes about 45 mins to walk up it - and be careful on the way down; the missus went arse over tit twice). Glencoe is a spectacular valley, but you can see it all in one hit. Glen Etive, which is tucked in behind Glencoe, is far more rewarding. A 13 mile drive down a single track road, with passing places every couple hundred yards, to the Loch (Etive). If the sun’s out and the deer are about, it’s stunning. Midges can be a bastard between May and August apparently, so be prepared! Kilchurn Castle and Castle Stalker are both near Oban as well. Beautiful at sunrise/sunset.

If you’re then driving up to Skye from Oban, which is a bloody long way (maybe 3 hours to Eileen Donan, 4 hours to Portree, 5 hours to the Quirang), you might want to take a short detour to the Glenfinnan Viaduct and Monument. The ‘Harry Potter‘ steam train goes over it mid morning and mid afternoon - you’d have to check the times; it goes from Fort William to Mallaig - which makes for a great photo opportunity.

Grateful for any recommendations trip and accommodation wise, once you get back!
Cheers bud, will definitely consider getting in the Glenfinnan Viaduct on route to Skye from Oban.

I'll PM you with any highlights and info on accommodation. It's looking more likely that we base ourselves in Oban and do two trips onto the Isle of Mull, one for Tobermory and the other to do both Iona and Staffa.

Morning Blues

Loch Lomond 4 nights
Isle of Mull 3 nights
Isle of Skye 3 nights

Loch Linnie is beautiful mate

Would you consider a campervan? We had one a few years ago for 3 nights in Mull. http://www.mullcampervans.co.uk/wee-bongo.html
Iona is nice, but it's small and not a huge amount there. We went to an island called Ulva, just off Mull which is an interesting place. Its pretty much uninhabited now but has remains of when it was populated.

Would you consider a campervan? We had one a few years ago for 3 nights in Mull. http://www.mullcampervans.co.uk/wee-bongo.html
Iona is nice, but it's small and not a huge amount there. We went to an island called Ulva, just off Mull which is an interesting place. Its pretty much uninhabited now but has remains of when it was populated.
I would but the wife not so much. She likes getting out, walking, hiking etc but anything that resembles camping she just wouldn't entertain.

Cheers for the info on Ulva. I'll have a look.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.