Isle of Mull

Cheers mate, I should have put a bit more meat on the bones.

On the Isle of Mull we fancy driving around as much of it as we can, stopping to do a few walking trails around the Isle. A trip to Tobermory is on the agenda as are trips to islands just off the Isle (Iona and Staffa).

If we can do that in 2 days based in Oban then that will leave us a day to go to Glencoe which I've heard is a must whilst up there.

It's whether being based in Oban rather than on the Isle itself will be too time consuming.
Stay on Mull. It is heaven for wildlife. Sea Eagles, Otters, Golden Eagles. Book one of the tours, they are fantastic. Great that you are seeing Staffa - the puffins are amazing. Iona has great walks to fantastic beaches. We stayed in Fionnphort. Little cottage, local pub, walking distance to the ferry to Iona. Accommodation may be at a premium because of COVID but a stay would be worth a little extra. My favourite Scottish island (well = with Harris).

Arran`s always been my favourite island . Some stunning scenery are great walks up Goat Fell . Then head up north over the Bealach na ba and down for a nights camping at Applecross and a visit to the Applecross Inn . Up then to Ullapool for a few nights via Torridon and Loch Maree . No better scenery in Scotland . Depending on the weather we always try and get a few nights in up on the north coast around Durness and Tongue and a visit to my favourite beach at Sandwood Bay .

Stay on Mull. It is heaven for wildlife. Sea Eagles, Otters, Golden Eagles. Book one of the tours, they are fantastic. Great that you are seeing Staffa - the puffins are amazing. Iona has great walks to fantastic beaches. We stayed in Fionnphort. Little cottage, local pub, walking distance to the ferry to Iona. Accommodation may be at a premium because of COVID but a stay would be worth a little extra. My favourite Scottish island (well = with Harris).
We had our honeymoon in Oban nearly 25 years ago. Had a day trip to Mull and absolutely loved it. Went back the year after and stayed there for a week. We went on one of those wildlife "safaris" and saw a Sea Otter and a White Tailed Sea Eagle flew overhead. Stopped counting numbers of different birds at 50.

Sorry OP can't help with the accommodation advice but day trips from Oban are very easy.

Cheers mate, I should have put a bit more meat on the bones.

On the Isle of Mull we fancy driving around as much of it as we can, stopping to do a few walking trails around the Isle. A trip to Tobermory is on the agenda as are trips to islands just off the Isle (Iona and Staffa).

If we can do that in 2 days based in Oban then that will leave us a day to go to Glencoe which I've heard is a must whilst up there.

It's whether being based in Oban rather than on the Isle itself will be too time consuming.
I did a week on Mull in the 60's. A B&B in Tobermory - guest house on the front. Can't remember what it was called. Run by a guy who escaped the 'Rat Race' darn sarf. Yer can do Tobermory in half an hour. I seem to recall that the interior of Mull was over-run with a billion midges. My picnic lunches began sitting on the open boot ledge and finished inside the car with hatch and windows firmly shut. Oh yeah, and there's Iona to visit.

What about Western Isles Hotel in Tobermory or Glengorm Castle both nice places. Stayed there a few times when following the Rally.

When we go we have always stayed at the Tobermory hotel on the front and used that as a base. Cafe Fish is a must if you like sea food.
If you stay in Oban and lets say you want to see the wild life on mull book one of the tours. That way you can leave the car and get on the Ferry as a foot passenger ( save money ) The tour co will pick you up at the ferry terminal and drop you off in time for the last ferry.
The bus servise revolves around ferry times eg cross from Oban as a foot passanger and the bus to Fionnphort turns up 20 mins later after you arrive. That bus will get you to the ferry to cross to Iona. the same occurs on you're return.
Me and the mrs have used the tours as they know where the wild life tends to be and it saves you having road rage on the narrow roads. where we take it easy the locals will flash you, just pull over and let them past they know the roads. Mull is the only place in the uk where I have seen Hen Harriers.
If you go down the wildlife tour route pm me and I'll give you a number for IMO the best one.
Tobermory 12 yr old single malt or Oban 14 yr will do thanks.
Duarts Castle is the one from " when 8 bell toll "

1978 World Cup.
Teofilio Cubillas scores this absolute cracker for Peru against Scotland. I let out a congratulatory shout. Where was I ? On Mull in the pub on the harbour at Tobermory.

Would you consider a campervan? We had one a few years ago for 3 nights in Mull. http://www.mullcampervans.co.uk/wee-bongo.html
Iona is nice, but it's small and not a huge amount there. We went to an island called Ulva, just off Mull which is an interesting place. Its pretty much uninhabited now but has remains of when it was populated.
And a fantastic Boathouse Cafe, where the catch of the day is probably as fresh as you will get. There are some nice walks on Ulva.

Nearby, on Mull, is Eas Fors. This is a pool created by a waterfall. Have an exhilarating swim there if the weather is nice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.