Istanbul CL Final chaos | City Matters statement (p 133)

Got the metro to and from the game. Absolute doddle - 45 mins each way. Excellent transport system and used it throughout my time in Instanbul including to/from SAW airport.

Utterly baffled why more City fans didn’t have the inclination to do the same and instead spent 3 hours each way on a bus.

Fair enough if you didn’t have a choice but thousands were heading back to Taksim square etc.

Yes UEFA are a shit show and the game shouldn’t have been played in such an obscure location miles out of the city but people do need to take responsibility for not doing their research. From the minute we arrived it was very obvious the metro system was by far the best way to get about.

If every one of the fans who fell for the UEFA lies about the buses had 'done their research', the Metro would have been swamped and would not have been able to cope and you wouldn't be here gloating.
The good natured experience with the inter fans would have been very different if all them extra blues had decided to use the metro. Don't kid yourself that it wouldn't have turned ugly very quickly when the pushing, shoving and queue jumping started.
I did my research and decided to follow the club and UEFA advice. I expected a bit of a wait after the game, not the rout of civilisation that was our car park.

If every one of the fans who fell for the UEFA lies about the buses had 'done their research', the Metro would have been swamped and would not have been able to cope and you wouldn't be here gloating.
The good natured experience with the inter fans would have been very different if all them extra blues had decided to use the metro. Don't kid yourself that it wouldn't have turned ugly very quickly when the pushing, shoving and queue jumping started.
I did my research and decided to follow the club and UEFA advice. I expected a bit of a wait after the game, not the rout of civilisation that was our car park.

Agreed.

Tell all city fans to use the bus, knowing 10% will rebel and use the metro.

Tell all fans not to use taxi’s, knowing 10% will rebel and use taxi’s.

All part of UEFA’s master plan.

Those who took metro home without problems owe us ‘bussers’ a pint !

I hope that all the people who suffered in the heat without water and proper facilities makes sure they let the club know, either by telling their OSC leaders or writing direct to the customer service people at the Etihad or direct to someone in the hierarchy of the club. It sounds absolutely disgraceful.

Thank goodness you all got home safely or as safely as you could.
@Eccles Blue I love your innocent outlook on life. It makes a very pleasant change from my cynicism that sees greed and corruption everywhere.
Istanbul was the venue 3 years ago but then covid struck. It has meant to have returned every year since. During those 3 years no one thought to ask if the car parks had been built. No one asked how the disabled would access the stadium and the biggest question was never asked. How are 80,000 people getting there.
Do you honestly believe an email to City will have the slightest meaningful effect ? They will answer it and say all the right things but in truth, absolutely nothing will be done by anybody.

@Eccles Blue I love your innocent outlook on life. It makes a very pleasant change from my cynicism that sees greed and corruption everywhere.
Istanbul was the venue 3 years ago but then covid struck. It has meant to have returned every year since. During those 3 years no one thought to ask if the car parks had been built. No one asked how the disabled would access the stadium and the biggest question was never asked. How are 80,000 people getting there.
Do you honestly believe an email to City will have the slightest meaningful effect ? They will answer it and say all the right things but in truth, absolutely nothing will be done by anybody.
The reason it should be done now is so that the organisers are aware of the risks so they have the option to address or ignore them. If it happens next time and someone loses their life because of it then European law (under which UEFA operate) will enable a route to potential charges, prosecution and more. The organisers at Hillsborough ignored earlier warning signs too.

If any City Matters reps were there and suffered like the rest of us then perhaps they could raise our concerns with the club.
Then the club can either ignore our concerns or pass them to UEFA and they will ignore them.
I said on the tickets thread a few weeks ago: The stadium capacity, airport capacity and hotel accommodation capacity are the only things considered when deciding where to stage major finals.
They might also consider how recently the city has staged one, but that's another that doesn't involve fan concerns.
We need more finals in western Europe as that is where around 95% of recent finalists have come from. It might indicate a degree of arrogance but it will also reduce miles travelled and hence reduce atmospheric pollution.
London may have issues and we know escaping from the car parks can be a nightmare, but there are several train and tube stations in the area and lots of parking via various web sites. Attaturk Stadium had nothing for miles around and only one Metro line. Chaos (for fans) was guaranteed.

Henry Winter has done an article somewhere today about the poor treatment of fans by Eufa. Reading through examples of peoples’ experiences there should be an enquiry.

Yes UEFA are a shit show and the game shouldn’t have been played in such an obscure location miles out of the city but people do need to take responsibility for not doing their research. From the minute we arrived it was very obvious the metro system was by far the best way to get about.
With all due respect, as fans in a foreign land, at a major event, with unfamiliar Policing and stewarding, in a place without language clarity and likely barriers of culture, following the advice of CITY and UEFA is probably a good idea. If I had researched the maps, I would have hired huskies, a sled and a vanguard of Sherpa guides to get from an airport to that stadium, and fanzones.

The metro at Istanbul SAW was labelled as Inter and wasn't even clear where it was. Getting past the first wave of taxi drivers haggling to a bus labelled CITY and Yemikapi seemed a simple option. In hindsight it...

Not read the whole thread yet but an absolute shambles getting to and from the ground . Our shuttle bus early doors from SAW to fan park got lost and we was trying to give him directions . We all pulled the emergency cord and jumped out and did the 20 min walk to Taksim and had to climb about 500 steps (which was funny watching blues climb) . Got the metro to fan park and had a great couple of hours , went to queue for shuttle bus and turned straight back to get Metro to the ground , a little mishap with Turks jumping on and attacking City fans.
After the match it was carnage on that car park , we walked it straight back to the metro for about 2am and got back to Taksim at 03:30. Thank god for that Metro otherwise we was screwed

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.