Istanbul CL Final chaos | City Matters statement (p 133)

They designate a ground above 60k. If they ever play it in Istanbul again they must use Galatasaray which is 57k otherwise they will prove they don't give a shit. The fanparks were awful. Luckily we got the metro both ways.

Think this should be something the OSC and other supporters groups feed back to the club and the media. Whatever you think of them, that spirit of shankley lot up the road are very good at things like that.
I know Alex from City Matters did an excellent job keeping us updated with ticket info etc so this is something he could feed back as well.

There was a young disable ginger haired lad on our bus, we made room for him to “park” his wheelchair, he had a young female with him who was obviously his helper. He shouted out on the bus “I need a pee” but I doubt the driver heard him but he wasn’t alone and the bus didn’t stop once on a 2 hour journey, felt for those.

As we got to the coach park a lot of fans were scrambling to get off the bus and there was no sign of any stewards available to help the disabled so 2 of us push the wheelchair to the exit but it was about a 2 foot drop, 2 other blues then helped us lower the chair onto the ground. It was still a fair schlep to the entrance in a quite high temperature so would have been a difficult walk for the lads assistant pushing the chair. Surely there should have been better provisions to help the disabled.

It's this kind of thing that has made me so angry. My own horrible, unacceptable experience I can live with. But the treatment of the most vulnerable members of our fanbase has left me disgusted and heartbroken. I'm appalled at the things I saw and had to do to stop people that should have had official support and guidance from being killed. That last bit is not hyperbole, genuinely had to drag some poor bewildered guy with CP (or stroke survivor?) and his career from between two buses that were reversing into each other and another old couple, blinded by the light of a taxi, from stumbling over a 100m+ escarpment.
Sad thing for me is everything either side of the 14 hours in which I was in UEFAs hands (and the 90mins of footie) was so utterly brilliant!

Think this should be something the OSC and other supporters groups feed back to the club and the media. Whatever you think of them, that spirit of shankley lot up the road are very good at things like that.
I know Alex from City Matters did an excellent job keeping us updated with ticket info etc so this is something he could feed back as well.
It’s the least the OSC could do given loads of them got tickets without being on the cup scheme or season ticket holders, are we allowed to mention that?

There was a young disabled ginger haired lad on our bus, we made room for him to “park” his wheelchair, he had a young female with him who was obviously his helper. He shouted out on the bus “I need a pee” but I doubt the driver heard him but he wasn’t alone and the bus didn’t stop once on a 2 hour journey, felt for those.

As we got to the coach park a lot of fans were scrambling to get off the bus and there was no sign of any stewards available to help the disabled so 2 of us pushed the wheelchair to the exit but it was about a 2 foot drop, 2 other blues then helped us lower the chair onto the ground. It was still a fair schlep to the entrance in a quite high temperature so would have been a difficult walk for the female assistant pushing the chair. Surely there should have been better provisions to help the disabled.
Questions need to be asked and action taken, but I won't hold my breath. How UEFA can get away with this is disgraceful. I feel for that poor lad. The conditions for people in wheelchairs, the elderly and frail and young children were nothing short of criminal neglect. Thankfully there were no emergencies or crowd trouble, but if there had been, it would have been life threatening. It should bring shame on UEFA, but it won't! As long as it looks good for the television and their favoured dignitaries get the VIP treatment, we don't matter. Never have, never will!

It's this kind of thing that has made me so angry. My own horrible, unacceptable experience I can live with. But the treatment of the most vulnerable members of our fanbase has left me disgusted and heartbroken. I'm appalled at the things I saw and had to do to stop people that should have had official support and guidance from being killed. That last bit is not hyperbole, genuinely had to drag some poor bewildered guy with CP (or stroke survivor?) and his career from between two buses that were reversing into each other and another old couple, blinded by the light of a taxi, from stumbling over a 100m+ escarpment.
Sad thing for me is everything either side of the 14 hours in which I was in UEFAs hands (and the 90mins of footie) was so utterly brilliant!
It was shocking mate, we walked through the corporate vehicle park (by mistake), there were English Speaking Staff directing and helping all the corporate’s onto their luxury vehicles, I believe they were given priority getting out of the Stadium park. All the coaches, buses and cars clearly identified. Then as you say non corporate elderly and disabled fans were put massively at risk with the shambles that occurred. like you I’m surprised no one was severely injured or even killed, absolute disgrace. I’m not complaining for the sake of it, we had a great but exhausting trip and met many brilliant blues. Big shout to the Inter fans, without theirs and ours impeccable behaviour around the ground in a poorly lit perimeter it could have led to absolute carnage, imagine if we’d played Napoli or God forbid the Rags or Dippers?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.