Istanbul CL Final chaos | City Matters statement (p 133)

It was like bandit country near the ground. We were walking on the hard shoulder trying to flag down taxis with gangs of lads following people. The surface where the taxis and buses dropped off wasn't even tarmaced and seen loads of blues struggling in wheel chairs in basically rubble.

Beer was expensive, warm and shite and ran out far too early. Then something daft like 8 quid for a shot of water in the ground.

Still mint

Need to change the title of this thread to cover all the other aspects of UEFA’s shambolic organisation of the whole matchday experience. As well as the shuttle bus fiasco there was the overzealous multiple security checks with inflatables not being allowed in, ridiculously overpriced and disgusting food and drink and random rip off pricing from surly staff (I was overcharged by €12.50 on top of already stupid pricing and because it was by card they wouldn’t correct it), inadequate outlets leading to huge queues for everything (90 minutes for a cold hot dog in my case) and beer running out 3 hours before kick off, no access to water without queueing for over an hour to purchase a small container for 150 lira when it’s 10 lira outside. The stadium wasn’t fit for purpose either. In a stupidly inaccessible location with seating miles from the pitch with hugely uncomfortable seats and ridiculous pricing for all but the cheapest tickets, filthy flooded toilets (that fortunately didn’t need to often because we were dehydrated due to the lack of water). An absolute disgrace.

Received a survey from UEFA about the whole experience but the questions were carefully selected to prevent any criticism of UEFA or the stadium services and were mostly focused on Istanbul as a football city. Didn’t bother submitting it.
Every word of this is spot on mate. Can you imagine if anything serious had happened at that stadium no emergency services could’ve accessed it. Crammed shuttles with folk stood up for hours was a disgrace.

I used the metro to and from the ground. Way better than what I read about the buses. Only downside was the distance to get to the fan park.

I always like to give every foreign city I visit a chance, but I won’t be coming back to Istanbul again. Bar the general chaos, traffic, size of the city, etc, the theft and ripping people off has left a sour taste in my mouth. I’ve spent endless time checking my pockets to make sure my phone, money and passport haven’t been stolen. Not to mention being over charged for almost everything, taxi, beer, food, etc. I shouldn’t tar the whole city or the Istanbul people in general as many of them have been very friendly, and it’s obviously the way of life in Istanbul, but the trip hasn’t been great in that respect.
Have to agree we met some really nice locals and had some great experiences with average locals cheering for little old city…. But the sour taste of the constant rip offs will be long remembered… absolutely got stitched on the first night by a restaurant that charged us a small fortune for Kebeb, salad and 4 x beers

Fairly sure one of my pictures in Nevizade St shows a pickpocket in mid-crime on Friday evening

It was exiting the bus park that was the issue, especially as all the corporates got priority exiting
Once on the motorway with police blocking side roads it was fine ,but if the bus was to have crashed due to overcrowded we wouldn't be here to tell the tale

Yes true, just glad everyone was ok.
Hopefully we wont experience that stadium again, Wembley - and people moan about that on here, and Munich should be better , if and hopefully we get there.

The fixed seats were a disgrace giving no room whatsoever to pass. We travelled to the ground by metro but checked and it said metro closes midnight but seems wasn’t the case. Organisation after the game was non existent.Walked over a mile from car park and shared a mini bus with others just to get away from the area it was actually going back to centre but got dropped off before and then got another taxi to airport arriving at 3am for a 3-30 flight ,flight delayed as loads not made it. Considering it was free transport that journey cost £70 and a lot of stress. Saw a number of families struggling with wheelchairs on the shithole of a car park .30 minutes queue for a bottle of water or food(didn’t bother) place/ organisation /facilities not fit for purpose. Will UEFA care will they Fck. Shame media couldn’t experience it but the after game hospitality was probably in full swing.
30 minutes? We queued for 2 hours for the only available food option.

The fan park at the stadium was split 80/20 in terms of beer and food respectively.

Absolutely no queues for beer all day, leading them to sell out at 6pm.

2 hour queues all day for food and soft drinks, absolutely ideal for kids in the sweltering heat!

I’m sure that 80/20 split had absolutely nothing to do with Heineken being a major UEFA sponsor.

How UEFA get these events so diabolically wrong time and time again is just utterly mindblowing.

I've got to say Istanbul has many, many charms but I'm sick of them literally making up prices as they go along.
I really liked Istanbul, but the total shambles of a transport network and the medieval barter system economy for taxis, food and drink, sadly means I’ll probably never return.

I don’t mind a bit of a barter for taxis on holidays, it’s sometimes part of the charm and getting to know the locals. But in Istanbul, there’s no charm with it whatsoever, everyone just seems out to aggressively completely rip tourists off for as much as they possibly can.

Currently in Dalaman airport where it’s £28 for a Big Mac meal and £6 for a can of Coke. It’s not for me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.