Istanbul trip

Staying in a 4-5 star hotel near a metro station, so hopefully decent. I don't mind haggling, and I reckon I'll crack on we're Irish to avoid any anto-British sentiments...wife basically is anyway. Lol.

Thanks for the replies.

Staying in a 4-5 star hotel near a metro station, so hopefully decent. I don't mind haggling, and I reckon I'll crack on we're Irish to avoid any anto-British sentiments...wife basically is anyway. Lol.

Thanks for the replies.

You don't need to pretend to be anything in terms of nationality. You could walk into Manchester centre right now and probably find someone who doesn't like the Spanish for example, it's not a reason for the Spanish to pretend to be Portuguese.

It wasn't Istanbul, but I found the Turkish couldn't do enough for you when I was there in 2010.

One or two in the bars wouldn’t take their eyes off me when I was in there (wearing colours) and a few employees in places wouldn’t make eye contact etc.

Remember two Leeds fans were murdered there and Arsenal attacked the following season. Galatasaray showed no remorse whatsoever with the Leeds situation.

Kerem will hopefully be along shortly to give you some better info.
I went back in April this year for my third time . If you can cancel your hotel, shift over to the Asian side in Kadikoy .
It’s so much better over there and the European side is a 50 pence ferry away for your sightseeing . There is very little in the way of being ripped off in the bars and restaurants. The taxis are cheap and the area IMHO is far cleaner and safer.
For the final we stayed on this side but when I went back recently , I foolishly chose the European side. It’s like chalk and cheese.

Edit .
By the way, it’s not “ a total shithole “ at all . It’s a vibrant city with problems . It’s an amazing place to visit and there’s loads going on .
Definitely don’t bother going to the stadium though.

Four of us jumped in a taxi when the shuttle bus driver finally admitted he hadn't a fucking clue where he was or where he was going.

The taxi ride made Grand Theft Auto look like the London-Brighton vintage car rally.
I've never seen anything like them taxis.
I got one from the airport to the hotel and the driver was eating with one hand, on his phone with the other and driving using his knees and going about 80mph in bumper to bumper traffic.

I'd just about got over the trauma of Istanbul and now you've brought it all back, you fucker :-)

Seriously wouldn't have swapped the trip for the world, it was knackering for an FOC but we had a ball, on returning home my room mate tested positive for COVID and I had the trots for about 8 weeks, actually farted and followed through on the golf course! Spare undercrackers and shorts in my bag as it was a definite possibility.

It's a huge City divided by the Bosporus river that separates Asia from Europe.

The Besiktas area is worth a visit, it's a prosperous area with loads of restaurants and decent bars, it's the hip place and attracts a lively clientele, hope you have a great time.
Besiktas is good.

Kerem will hopefully be along shortly to give you some better info.
I went back in April this year for my third time . If you can cancel your hotel, shift over to the Asian side in Kadikoy .
It’s so much better over there and the European side is a 50 pence ferry away for your sightseeing . There is very little in the way of being ripped off in the bars and restaurants. The taxis are cheap and the area IMHO is far cleaner and safer.
For the final we stayed on this side but when I went back recently , I foolishly chose the European side. It’s like chalk and cheese.

Edit .
By the way, it’s not “ a total shithole “ at all . It’s a vibrant city with problems . It’s an amazing place to visit and there’s loads going on .
Definitely don’t bother going to the stadium though.
Agree totally with the recommendation to stay on the Asian side, then travel over for the sightseeing. Much more chill and relaxed place to be based, great places to eat etc without being ripped off and hassled.

Been Istanbul twice going again in November for the Marathon ( watching not running)
Staying Sultanhamet side ( Faith Area)
Cracking pub called Red River named after John Wayne film
Walking distance to Blue Mosque Grand Bazaar ,Bosphrus ext & can get Big Bus for sightseeing
Definite recommend a evening cruise on the Bosphrus for a couple of hours

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.