It’s time to banish the miserable gits

I think people are missing a big point on this.
There's a guy a couple of rows in front of me, he always looks glum. And not infrequently, he seems more interested in picking out opposition fans who have somehow snuck their way in to where they shouldn't be, close by, than in what's going on on the pitch, and spending the next ten minutes slagging them off loudly and aggressively. Regardless of what's going on on the pitch.
But what can I say? That's just him. We bring our whole selves to the match. Our pasts, our presents, far, far beyond footballing matters.
I genuinely believe that some people have problems that they bring to the stadium, and get some kind of therapy out of it.
Nothing you can do about it. Just enjoy the best football this club has ever seen, and be thankful you're not that person (unless, maybe you are, in which case maybe you're enjoying yourself in your own way…)

Incidentally, OP, I'd be curious to know how you go about ‘banishing’ people from a football stadium.

I remember being in a pub near Belle Vue about 30 years ago and this bloke was stood at the bar, making a speech about modern football and the improved facilities being provided. 'Fuck that,' he said. 'All you need is to stand in a leaky shed, with a pie, and have a good moan.' So you see, moaning is a football tradition.

I remember being in a pub near Belle Vue about 30 years ago and this bloke was stood at the bar, making a speech about modern football and the improved facilities being provided. 'Fuck that,' he said. 'All you need is to stand in a leaky shed, with a pie, and have a good moan.' So you see, moaning is a football tradition.
Wasn't there a tv series called grumpy old men? Maybe some of them are blues.

I think people are missing a big point on this.
There's a guy a couple of rows in front of me, he always looks glum. And not infrequently, he seems more interested in picking out opposition fans who have somehow snuck their way in to where they shouldn't be, close by, than in what's going on on the pitch, and spending the next ten minutes slagging them off loudly and aggressively. Regardless of what's going on on the pitch.
But what can I say? That's just him. We bring our whole selves to the match. Our pasts, our presents, far, far beyond footballing matters.
I genuinely believe that some people have problems that they bring to the stadium, and get some kind of therapy out of it.
Nothing you can do about it. Just enjoy the best football this club has ever seen, and be thankful you're not that person (unless, maybe you are, in which case maybe you're enjoying yourself in your own way…)

Incidentally, OP, I'd be curious to know how you go about ‘banishing’ people from a football stadium.
Good point this about being at the ground. It's always been like this. Some people are just locked in a habit of being miserable. Their outlet for that misery becomes their therapy which in turn adds to that cycle of misery. Once they're at that point it's hard for them to go back. But it's annoying for other people around them as we try not to become the sponges that soak up their negativity.

Regarding forums. Nah, there are people who thrive off this shit. Fuck em and their negativity. Ignore them, they will soon find alternative means to spread their bile. It's also subjective, isn't it? Some stuff we might feel is pure negativity but the poster is having a genuine rant or its just their nature. No harm done. Good debate is what's needed at that point and if they aren't able to enter into one then just ignore them.

I’m happy to be shot down on this. There are plenty of folk who think that paying their entrance fee gives them the right to say anything during the match - but there has to be a limit.
The miserable old git behind me at Palace spent 90 minutes slagging off the whole team and style of play. Not a positive word came out of his mouth. He did not join in with the chants that can motivate the players.
Others around me shrugged their shoulders and bit their lip but, like me, said nothing to him. A bit like the way racists used to be tolerated, but not called out.
We should unite against the miserable gits, tell them to change or bugger off to somewhere where they have every reason to be miserable- the swamp perhaps.
Then replace them with appreciative vocal fans who can raise the collective mood, even on days when things don’t go so well.
Has Nicky Summerbee left yet? And David Brightwell. If so, I'm in!!

On a serious note, everything is in perspective. When I grew up, I thought Keith Curle was the best thing since sliced bread.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.