IT departments

Mike D said:
Damocles said:
Mike D said:
Agreed they just love that power trip and would just love the rest of us on to be on dumb terminals so they control everything. They always make they are the busiest over worked department important department ever and finding time to fix your shitty printer is way down on priorities. But the minute you mention fixing it yourself and no longer need them. Then it would have been easier telling them you've just had a 4 some with their wife, daughter and mother

This is true, IT departments love to be in control of their network. Because whilst thousands can complain about over bearing security, it only takes a single unsecured computer to break the entire network.

And whilst waiting for a printer might cause frustration in your day, if the whole network gets affected by something they no longer have a job and can't feed their kids.

That's why these things are in place.

Okay the printer may have been a lame example but the amount of times I've stuck my head in the IT office to ask for a new cartridge and being told to come back later we're to busy. So its bollocks the printer cartridge is 4 yards away it takes approximately 23 secondss to get off your fat arse and get me the cartridge and I'll be on my way.

Don't you just love it when them fuckers love to hind behind their networks shite and try to blind you with this . But the fact of the matter as well as being an accountant I do have a good working knowledge having worked in IT and networks.

Now the smart thing to do would be get hold of a printer cartridge BEFORE the current one runs out and have it secreted away so you can continue printing when the current one runs out. The IT dept are just waiting until you figure it out - probably have a sweepstake on it ;)

willy eckerslike said:
Mike D said:
Damocles said:
This is true, IT departments love to be in control of their network. Because whilst thousands can complain about over bearing security, it only takes a single unsecured computer to break the entire network.

And whilst waiting for a printer might cause frustration in your day, if the whole network gets affected by something they no longer have a job and can't feed their kids.

That's why these things are in place.

Okay the printer may have been a lame example but the amount of times I've stuck my head in the IT office to ask for a new cartridge and being told to come back later we're to busy. So its bollocks the printer cartridge is 4 yards away it takes approximately 23 secondss to get off your fat arse and get me the cartridge and I'll be on my way.

Don't you just love it when them fuckers love to hind behind their networks shite and try to blind you with this . But the fact of the matter as well as being an accountant I do have a good working knowledge having worked in IT and networks.

Now the smart thing to do would be get hold of a printer cartridge BEFORE the current one runs out and have it secreted away so you can continue printing when the current one runs out. The IT dept are just waiting until you figure it out - probably have a sweepstake on it ;)

Don't worry I'm one step ahead of the fuckers because that's exactly what I did just after the first time it happened, but I still like to go and annoy them anyway safe in the knowledge I've already replaced the cartridge.

willy eckerslike said:

Don't tell the office Lean manufacturing champion though! That's waste of inventory having one in your cupboard and one controlled centrally. You will be told to just use the one stored centrally.... ermm that's until you've stayed 'til 9 o'clock at night or come in at 6am to finish and print that report that the boss altered at 4:45pm the previous day and wants to take it with him to a meeting at 9.a.m. the next day and can't print it out because the 'cartridge monitor' doesn't get in 'til 9am. Grrrrr!

Rarely are policies put in place by those that are responsible for enforcing them. Normally something happens, then some muckity muck goes on a power trip and dictates a change without knowing the ramifications and nobody in middle management has the desire to go to battle for common sense. That leads to other issues, more pissing matches and an IT department that is stuck in no-win situations. It can be a tough gig. But if there is just one good middle manager that knows how to work with people, the department can be great to work for as well as do business with.

The only IT people that I have problems with are those that refuse to off-load any tasks that could be handled by others. They are fearful that they will somehow be less important and always end up doing a shitty job because they don't have the time to do anything the right way. I've been in IT for 30 years now and feel like I've seen it all.

Mike D said:
willy eckerslike said:
Mike D said:

Don't worry I'm one step ahead of the fuckers because that's exactly what I did just after the first time it happened, but I still like to go and annoy them anyway safe in the knowledge I've already replaced the cartridge.

Good man, you rebel!

When I work from home it goes like this

Log on, click VPN - nothing happens - reboot (turn off and on) still not working. Go to settings, check DNS, ping server, check correct domain, reboot (turn off and off) , call laptop pile of shite. Call IT guy get VM, 2 hours later get call back - Diane have you tried rebooting? Grrrrrr ok I'll sort remotely - takes over laptop - clicks about randomly trying things I've already tried.

2 hours later - ok try it again - I changed the server password and forgot to tell you!

Thanks all working now, when I see you I will kill you

In the interest of balance I must say that my IT department are wonderful. Business focused, solution-orientated, high value, cost effective and consistently deliver against SLA KPI's.

They don't do secretarial work like issue and/or replace toner carts though! Any self respecting IT person being asked to do that is being poorly utilised.

Pokes28 said:
The only IT people that I have problems with are those that refuse to off-load any tasks that could be handled by others. They are fearful that they will somehow be less important and always end up doing a shitty job because they don't have the time to do anything the right way. I've been in IT for 30 years now and feel like I've seen it all.

And this is exactly how it is in my place they know that by replacing old technology with new they are doing themselves out of a job and the systems they are paid thousands to write scripts for would be defunct. Which would mean all they would be left liver is annoying shitty accountants demanding new ink cartridges TW&TS!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.