It may not be this year.

C_T_I_D

I don't know if anybody has actually took into consideration that this may not be the year where we storm the top four and challenge for the premiership title? Although if it is that'd be great, and please take your hankerchiefs with you on the off chance the nosebleed positions are reached, I personally do not expect it at all.

But lets look at the facts. Mark Hughes has only been given the target of a top six place finish which given the signings that he has made previously and the recent additions that he has made should be reasonably easy to achieve. I know that sounds odd and I threw a bit of my opinion in there, but would any of you disagree? seriously?

The other thing is that as we all know the managers, the players and the press are going to be watching our every move with a great deal of interest and the reason why I actually like this is because it means we're a threat to the sky four and that we could break it up and make it a top five or top six (with Villa) potentially and do so consistently unlike Everton finishing fourth one season and never really building on it.

I'll finish with these words: 7 days and counting - tick tock, tick tock.

The thing that gets me is why everyone has latched onto only one team breaking the top four, it seems the in thing that it will be either ourselves or Villa or Spuds or Everton to break the monopoly just pondering the fact that more than one team might actually break them. I don't have a problem with us finishing top six, it has always been stated by MH that it would take 4 transfer windows to build a side capable of top four we are only half way through. In my opinion by attracting the players he has we become a better proposition for even better players to join us either in January and next summer. It would give me great pleasure if in May if the top four were City, Villa, Everton Spuds with the sky 4 having to settle for 5th sixth, seventh and eighth. Not going to happen but it would be nice.

My understanding is that the owner demands Champions League football. He is rather silent, as one would expect of dignified royalty, however MH has not been given the stratospheric transfer funds just to obtain a Europa League place. Anyone who isn't seeing that remains off-the-pace.

We were one win away from a Europa place with last season's squad. You don't spend untold millions just to win one more game and qualify in 7th position.

Time may not be on MH's side - he will have to deliver big time. If all we get is a Europa League spot, then I'm afraid it's not good enough. We have to be one of the Sky 4.

Then we push on for the title, either this season or next.

C_T_I_D said:
I don't know if anybody has actually took into consideration that this may not be the year where we storm the top four and challenge for the premiership title? Although if it is that'd be great, and please take your hankerchiefs with you on the off chance the nosebleed positions are reached, I personally do not expect it at all.

But lets look at the facts. Mark Hughes has only been given the target of a top six place finish which given the signings that he has made previously and the recent additions that he has made should be reasonably easy to achieve. I know that sounds odd and I threw a bit of my opinion in there, but would any of you disagree? seriously?

The other thing is that as we all know the managers, the players and the press are going to be watching our every move with a great deal of interest and the reason why I actually like this is because it means we're a threat to the sky four and that we could break it up and make it a top five or top six (with Villa) potentially and do so consistently unlike Everton finishing fourth one season and never really building on it.

I'll finish with these words: 7 days and counting - tick tock, tick tock.

Personally don't think our owners will settle for top 6 this season after the dosh they've spent, unless of course we reach a cup final.

Our owners aren't stupid. I'm sure they expect an improvement year on year. Last season we were 10th. If we finish 5th or 6th I'd say that was a good season. Next season the pressure then increases because Hughes and City would be expected to break the top 4 and that is no easy target.

am I the only one who's worried sick about Spurs?had they had Harry all last year they'd have been dangerous....that squad is scary.

I think we'd be fools to dismiss them as rivals to our assault on the sky 4.

1894 said:
My understanding is that the owner demands Champions League football. He is rather silent, as one would expect of dignified royalty, however MH has not been given the stratospheric transfer funds just to obtain a Europa League place. Anyone who isn't seeing that remains off-the-pace.

We were one win away from a Europa place with last season's squad. You don't spend untold millions just to win one more game and qualify in 7th position.

Time may not be on MH's side - he will have to deliver big time. If all we get is a Europa League spot, then I'm afraid it's not good enough. We have to be one of the Sky 4.

That's odd. I seem to recall our owners saying something about "top 6" this season.

jimharri said:
1894 said:

That's odd. I seem to recall our owners saying something about "top 6" this season.

Seem to remember Frank saying a top half finish was our aim first season, Sven delivered and got the boot.......................

I think most of our fans would be surprised if we finish top four, well the over 30's who know what City are like at cocking things up.... I'd be more than happy with a top six finish and a good run in the cups, anything else would be a bonus. But we need a good start in our first 3 games, because the press would go for us big time if we struggle!!!

An improvement on failure is hardly great progress.

Last season was a massive under achievement, however it is dressed up.

I think it's reasonable to expect a lot more this term. "Gradual progress, solid fondations" etc. is all bollox. Results. Results. Results. That's all that counts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.