It may not be this year.

I can see the attitude here turning very sour again come reality time. Rather unbeliavable, but fans here will start outing our manager again if he (a) fills his goals as set by the owners and (b) makes a huge step from the clubs best ever premier league finish.

Fact is, progress does not happen overnight, team needs to work together and thus we will NOT be challenging for the top 4 this season.

Rammyblues said:
The thing that gets me is why everyone has latched onto only one team breaking the top four, it seems the in thing that it will be either ourselves or Villa or Spuds or Everton to break the monopoly just pondering the fact that more than one team might actually break them. I don't have a problem with us finishing top six, it has always been stated by MH that it would take 4 transfer windows to build a side capable of top four we are only half way through. In my opinion by attracting the players he has we become a better proposition for even better players to join us either in January and next summer. It would give me great pleasure if in May if the top four were City, Villa, Everton Spuds with the sky 4 having to settle for 5th sixth, seventh and eighth. Not going to happen but it would be nice.
I agree with all the points here.
Some fans need a dose of perspective. You don't go from not having competed in the top four for over thirty years to suddenly running away with everything. However if you try to be realistic you are accused of being a loser and accepting second best. I would hope for a top 6 finish and European qualification and then adding to the squad next year for a real assault on the top 4. Having said that if we finish fourth or higher I would be chuffed.

squirtyflower said:
Rammyblues said:
The thing that gets me is why everyone has latched onto only one team breaking the top four, it seems the in thing that it will be either ourselves or Villa or Spuds or Everton to break the monopoly just pondering the fact that more than one team might actually break them. I don't have a problem with us finishing top six, it has always been stated by MH that it would take 4 transfer windows to build a side capable of top four we are only half way through. In my opinion by attracting the players he has we become a better proposition for even better players to join us either in January and next summer. It would give me great pleasure if in May if the top four were City, Villa, Everton Spuds with the sky 4 having to settle for 5th sixth, seventh and eighth. Not going to happen but it would be nice.
I agree with all the points here.
Some fans need a dose of perspective. You don't go from not having competed in the top four for over thirty years to suddenly running away with everything. However if you try to be realistic you are accused of being a loser and accepting second best. I would hope for a top 6 finish and European qualification and then adding to the squad next year for a real assault on the top 4. Having said that if we finish fourth or higher I would be chuffed.

Yes pretty much agree with all that. Top 6 is a minimum requirement now, anything less can only be a failure. Not being in Europe could prove to be a big advantage this season as well. Everybody seems to be writing Arsenal out of the top 4 at our expense, which just makes me laugh really. Whilst we should be challenging the top 4, this season might still be a year too soon to really expect it. A lot of it depends on how our defence shapes up, cos at the moment we don't have a top 4 defence.

Don't discount, Everton Aston Villa and Tottenham, We have ripped our team apart and it takes time for them to work together.
Cracking the top six will be a big achievement in itself, our best ever PL finish is 8th so I won't be surprized if we only finish 6th or 7th. Hope every one who thinks top 4 is right.
Think I am on my own in believing that Hughes will get that time, seems very hard to gauge the owners reaction as the amount of money spent in such a short time is incredible!! but they don't seem your typical owners and I haven't got a clue what they are thinking.

We are not making top 4 this year that is for sure, we need a couple more years, I don't care how much we've spent a team needs time to gel, forget what the media says.

Perhaps I missed something but the Chairman said the target was top 6 unlike Frank who broke his promise, I get the impression that Khaldoon is a man of Honour and will stick to his word 6th is acceptable anymore is a bonus

Dhenry said:
I can see the attitude here turning very sour again come reality time. Rather unbeliavable, but fans here will start outing our manager again if he (a) fills his goals as set by the owners and (b) makes a huge step from the clubs best ever premier league finish.

Fact is, progress does not happen overnight, team needs to work together and thus we will NOT be challenging for the top 4 this season.
the trouble is we did not progress last season in terms of where we finished in the league and the woeful displays in the domestic cup competitions ie brighton and forest,so for me i have to admit to already being sour as you put it.i just genuinely believe that les isn`t the man for the job and he`ll be gone by xmas,i know i`ll get called a sad f**ker but there you go!

feedthegoat2007 said:
Dhenry said:

the trouble is we did not progress last season in terms of where we finished in the league and the woeful displays in the domestic cup competitions ie brighton and forest,so for me i have to admit to already being sour as you put it.i just genuinely believe that les isn`t the man for the job and he`ll be gone by xmas,i know i`ll get called a sad f**ker but there you go!

I think that you have a fair point tbh, anyone that says he is the man for the job are just hoping he is the man for the job. he has not shown me that he is the man for the job, his tactics are wank......FACT

People seem to think that it will be acceptable to be in and around 5th place, competing with Villa, Spurs,Everton etc due to the fact that the team needs time etc etc

Are you telling me that if Spurs had got Tevez, Adebayor, Barry and Toure they wouldn´t make a serious challenge to the top 4? And Harry has had less time than Hughes.

Likewise Villa who almost pulled it off last year. Moyes would certainly be licking his lips with those 4. I reckon Everton would do serious damage with the amount we have spent.

What worries me is that Hughes is doing a lot of talking. But he is one of those guys who uses 20 words where 5 will do. In many walks of life this is the tactic of someone who is covering up his inability to do his job proporly.

I don´t want to be overly critical because there are things to like about him, his transfers for one thing, but I just have this feeling that MH is the Emerperor with no clothes.

OK, a few here settling for top 6. Fine. I'm sure I've heard some of our new players talking about 'winning trophies' and 'challenging for the league' in their press conferences.

What's the manager gonna do - say 'Hold on lads, don't be too ambitious, we can't achieve Sky 4 yet, we need a few more transfer windows?'

Let me play Devil's Advocate one moment...

Imagine this - if Jose M was City's manager TODAY, he'd be setting the teams out to win every game, he's be talking up the club, and he's be talking up himself.

Why should MH set up his team 'to get something out of the game, to see how the group progresses, and not set any targets ?'

Let's see how much patience the owner really has as we progress through the season.

Off to the match soon....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.