italy and uruguay, are they all that?

Both teams are not much better than England but Italy and Uruguay have that extra nous when it comes to the tournament.

They can both keep the ball much better, and in the heat of a tournament, that can make all the difference.

There seems to be a unique doom and gloom mentality amongst English fans when it comes to World Cups.

Most fans around the world look forward to it with maybe a bit of unrealistic expectation but just enjoy the occasion and hope their country puts up a good show.

At lot of English fans seem to actively want the team to fail so they can proudly boast how they were right all along and we are shit.

Of course we're highly unlikely to win it. Only one team every four years does.

I've just been wondering off the top of my head, the last time England lost a game in the finals to any team that might not be generally considered an elite team. I can't be arsed looking it up just to make sure I'm not wrong but has there been such a defeat since America in 1950?

Italy invariably turn up when it counts, no matter how badly they've been playing before. They are pretty much the reverse England, better when the pressure is on, better against better opposition and unbeatable against the Germans! Uruguay always look piss poor to me, especially Cavani, but then they went and won Copa America, so I guess they are a bit of a wildcard.

I fully expect England to play turgid football and scrape through the group with 5 points though, probably behind Italy with 7

BigOscar said:
Italy invariably turn up when it counts, no matter how badly they've been playing before.
They finished bottom of their group in 2010 behind New Zealand.
I honestly don't know how they will do this time and after decent qualifying and a good Euros they are clearly not a team to be taken lightly but they do sometimes start slowly.

This group is so tight because all teams involved are nowhere near as good as they should be.
I still expect England to come out of this group. I think we have some good young players
who will change games for us and we will not be as SHIT as everyone thinks we will be.

Saying that I could be wrong ;-)

Btw for the ecuador reference above, Uruguay beat this Argentine side everyone is frightened of in their last qualifying game iirc.

Ray78 said:
Both teams aren't not much better than England but Italy and Uruguay have that extra nous when it comes to the tournament.

That's my view as well. I don't think England will beat either of them

TCIB said:
The pertinent question for us is how many are they gonna bang in against us ?

Total aggregate will be 5-2.

You know which side is which.

TCIB said:
The pertinent question for us is how many are they gonna bang in against us ?
And at the end of the day, how many give a shit...Roll on the new season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.