italy and uruguay, are they all that?

sam-caddick said:
Most days I keep hearing England are going to get battered by these two teams but I question whether they are as good as many are making out.

Italy: Pirlo, Motta and De Rossi is as good a midfield trio as you are going to get in the World Cup but they lack a truly great striker from what I see, they have lost arguably their most influential creative force in the final third in Montolivo and whilst their defence is made up mostly of Juventus players, Juventus were pretty poor in a Champions League group they should have got out of.

I think they have a good first XI but I don't see many game changers on their bench.

Uruguay:

Suarez is world class and so is Cavani on his day but he has never done it in a Uruguay shirt for me, they have Godin in defence who is top class but they also have Lugano who struggled to get a game at West Brom, they look an ageing team to me that is likely going to sit deep and counter.

I don't think England are that far behind if at all to be honest and I question whether if we get our team selection and tactics right we could top our group.

As long as we keep playing the white Pele we've got fucks chance of winning out.

In Italy we aren't sure if this squad can be competitive, in the past tournaments we have improved after the group stages (apart 2010). I remember the 1994 when with only 4 pts we went to the last 16th (we got beat by ireland also) and made up to the final (lost at penalties against brazil) or in the 1982 when we saw the worst italy and then thanks to Rossi we won that world cup. This tournament will be strange also because it will not be easy to play in Brazil, i expect a lot of injuries.

Italy are hard to beat. They are one of those sides that seems to come alive and peak in major tournaments. They qualified easily which suggests that when they have to get a result they do. Their recent results and performances have been poor but they have experimented. Losing Montolivo is a big loss for them. They don't have an abundance of creative players. But they do have two deep lying playmakers who will look to control the game. We will need to make sure Pirlo is unable to get the ball and have Henderson just man mark him. Stop Pirlo and you stop Italy.

Uruguay are a poor side but they are South American and therefore have an advantage in those conditions. We will need to make sure we don't overcommit players but they don't have much strength in depth. Suarez struggles to score against the top opposition and Cavani has been hit and miss. They only qualified through playoffs and as long as we make sure we don't allow them space on the counter we will be fine.

England need to keep the ball better or we will struggle. If we keep it well we can get through to the knockouts. On paper we can then win the next round game and make it to the quarters where anything can happen.

We are not as poor as many people think. Italy lack pace and attacking variety. Brazil are defensively hit and miss and don't have a star striker in my opinion. Argies are weak defensively. Spain and Germany have the two best squads and England are a solid centre back and right back away from being up there with them.

Italy will struggle this wc like the last one imo.

Lots of talk about them being better under pressure and when it counts but I get the feeling the younger players coming into the team aren't of the same quality as we've seen before. I think England will get the better of them this time round.

OK, I'll say it - I can't remember reading anywhere (over the last few weeks) in the English media that says either team will batter England. In fact I have seen more reports on how well England's young guns will fare if given the chance - lots of stuff about Barkley, Sturridge, Llalana, Shaw, Sterling etc. I've seen more reports on England making it out of the Group than the contrary.

I agree with those that say we aren't as weak as people are making out. Attacking wise we look good, defensively If we can get it together we can go far in this world cup no doubt.

Italy are notoriously slow starters. I honestly think we have enough to progress through the group. BUT, it all depends on Woy. If he picks Barkely, Lallana Sturridge etc.. we'll do ok. If he reverts to the cautious, trusted players we'll tank. That means no Wellbeck, no Milner, no Lampard.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.