Items you never see nowadays

What are donkey stones? Is that what someone with big bollocks got called at school?!

It was a very serious business back in the day because how clean your step was kept defined how house proud you were to the neighbours. If one or two came out then within minutes never to be outdone the whole street would turn out to play. You were a nobody if you didn't donkey stone. Also your empty milk bottles and windows had to gleam and you had to be seen to be clean because the neighbours would gossip as that was their social media back then.

T8XxACc.jpg

Last edited:
Salford for 40yrs and never heard of a donkey stone before I’m afraid!

All my parents/Grandparents are Yorkshire so maybe it is a Yorkshire thing but I was born in Manchester and although I am going from memory, (born 1958) I am sure it was round here but to be fair it was a long time ago.

Also it was the reason why the stone step dipped in the middle, it had been worn away, not by feet but by the stone. See two Gun Bobs photo although my memories are more recent than that.

Those hot dog carts at Maine Road that were pushed along by blokes in cream coloured jackets. Cannot for the life of me remember the name of the company but you would see them at all over the place at night in Manchester.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.