It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

I don't particularly mind players leaving but I just don't understand the logic in going into this season with an even smaller squad than last season. letting go of zinchenko, getting cucurella, so again another season with 3 fit fullbacks (let's not forget how much that hurt us last season in the CL). letting go of ake, so going from 4 centerbacks to three (did people forget we had to play fernandinho CB for quite a few games the end of last season - getting rid of one now means that if the same situation happens this season, say hello to the center half partnership that is Phillips-Mbete). upgrade in the back-up CDM department in phillips, but still 1 to 1 replacement. Getting rid of 2 forwards (sterling & jesus) and replacing them with 2 forwards (haaland and alvarez), getting rid of steffen for ortega

Which means that ultimately the bare-bones squad that ended last season is now exactly 1 player smaller. how on earth does that happen
Yes been saying this all week. People have short memories we scraped over the line at end of season.. Seems suddenly we've got Haaland we don't need replacements for anyone

but when has he done this? Please find me one tweet where Fabrizio has commented or posted something in relation to a rumour that started on this forum?

The only info he has said about city is that Phillips &ortgea are done and cucurella now the next target. That is all. I don’t get where this is coming from.
Was talking about the doozy45 guy. I don’t think it’s a problem that he quotes gossip from this forum.

Why are Bayern looking to sell Gnabry so cheap. Same as our issue, 1 year left on his contract and not extending? He’s only 26 so it would give us some directness we’d lose with Raz.

Exactly this mate. I really don’t get these people that say this player or that player can cover etc. It nearly cost us at the end of last season and did cost us big style when Kompany left. I really hope we have learned from our mistakes this time. Personally I would love Jurrien Timber here if Ake leaves.
2018/19 was much worse as you had Otamendi at 30+ a little off the pace, and Fernandinho at 33.

With Stones and Laporte getting injured early, Rodri was dropped in the deep end with a slow defence behind him.

Mendy wasn't the same after the injury the previous season, and it took Cancelo a while to settle.

This season, if we get a left back from the PL, then, even if Laporte and Stones were out, we'd have Dias, Walker, Cancelo, Cucurella, Zinchenko, and Phillips, who has played at centre back before and is much more dynamic than Ferna or Otamendi that season.

The end of last season was a shit show, but during that period, everyone except Cancelo and Zinchenko got injured, and Cancelo got suspended for the RM 1st leg. Not sure how many defenders you need for that? Arguably, if we get Cucurella and Ake leaves, we're in a better position already, as the only difference is that Phillips is likely to be a safer CB than Fernandinho.

I think with CB if we got good money for Ake and he wanted to leave we’d go into the season with Dias/Stones/Laporte/Mbete and Rodri & Phillips as plan b. We’d have a plan c (buying someone in Jan) just in case it all goes tits up which I don’t think it will. Remember the World Cup is November-December so can swoop in for someone January if we really want.

lineup.png

Given current rumours -
Potentially a a total 6 leaving:
Ake, Sterling, Fernandihno, Jesus, Steffan, Zinchenko

Potentially a total of 5 in:
Haaland, Alvarez, Phillips, Cucurella, Ortega

Would we have to call upon on Mbete, Wilson-Esbrand, McAtee, Doyle? All talented but, are they currently worthy of a team trying win every title? Personally I'm not bothered if we don't sign anymore than the 5 above, as it will be very interesting to see how it all plays out - but it just makes winning trophies much harder (maybe more exciting?).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.