It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

What happens if we pay 45-50m for Cucu and JWE turns out to be a highly talented LB who wants to play much more minutes?

If JWE competes with a cheaper new LB, he can displace him and play gradually more and more minutes. But if a 50m LB stands in his way, his playing time will stay limited even if he improves a lot.

From JWE's perspective, it's not the same whether we buy a back-up LB to rotate Cancelo or a first choice LB. An expensive first choice LB would limit JWE's minutes over the next 2-3 years much more than a squad player like, say, Sosa.

This is probably a minor point, but it might have some weight for Txiki and Pep.
Depends on how the fullbacks are going to play this season. From when we originally signed Mendy and Walker, they were going to provide the width. Mendy got injured not many games in and we've not had an overlapping left back since.

A successful season is almost 60 games, without considering international matches. No one could play as an attacking wingback for that many games. If he's good enough, we could have Walker/Cancelo and Cucurella/JWE. There will be a 1st choice to battle over but still plenty of matches

Depends on how the fullbacks are going to play this season. From when we originally signed Mendy and Walker, they were going to provide the width. Mendy got injured not many games in and we've not had an overlapping left back since.

A successful season is almost 60 games, without considering international matches. No one could play as an attacking wingback for that many games. If he's good enough, we could have Walker/Cancelo and Cucurella/JWE. There will be a 1st choice to battle over but still plenty of matches

That will become true when Cancelo is an option only for the RB (after Walker retires) and when Ake moves. I'm sure we've promised Ake more minutes this season, an obvious way to get them would be at LB.

Basically, if we sign a top quality FB ready to be our first choice LB, then JWE will compete for minutes with him, Cancelo and Ake.

Granted, in 2 years it will be easier for JWE to get more minutes, but at that time he might feel good enough to be a firm starter somewhere else. It's a nice problem to have but his minutes and development should be taken into account.

Angelino couldn't cross to Haaland. Haaland's presence may change things a bit. Sosa contributed 17 assists in the last two Bundesliga seasons. Cucu had 2 last season (poor strikers, I know). And Sosa's price is what, 40% of Cucu's...

We (Pep) may be fascinated with Cucu, but then again we may be seeing him as no more than a very good option to rotate. And at 50m he is too expensive for a squad player.

Dunno but we may be weighing our options now, which would go some way in explaining our 30m offer for Cucu, provided it's a fact. If we bid 45m for Cucu and fail, then 20m for Sosa might be a non-starter.
To add to this, Angelino was defensively too susceptible. In fact as bad as 2020 Mendy. He almost never tracked back and he wasn't physical enough to stand his own against wingers who'd bully him easily.

Pep gave him a lot of chances, arguably in the some of the biggest games in the season - liverpool and Utd and he simply couldn't crack it.

I'm far more convinced by Wilson-Esbrand than I am with Delap (who I don't think will make it at the top level as he's a bit slower than he needs to be).

Not that convinced by McAtee's ability to make it at the top level either.

But then again, I said the same about Silva when he came to City....
I think he has all the attributes to be a top top player
He needs a better touch to play for us and I think more game time is needed
At the moment though a lot of our youth team are stalling because they get to a level and then don’t play against top level opponents
I’m all for the loan or sell with buy back approach we seem to be adopting

What happens if we pay 45-50m for Cucu and JWE turns out to be a highly talented LB who wants to play much more minutes?

If JWE competes with a cheaper new LB, he can displace him and play gradually more and more minutes. But if a 50m LB stands in his way, his playing time will stay limited even if he improves a lot.

From JWE's perspective, it's not the same whether we buy a back-up LB to rotate Cancelo or a first choice LB. An expensive first choice LB would limit JWE's minutes over the next 2-3 years much more than a squad player like, say, Sosa.

This is probably a minor point, but it might have some weight for Txiki and Pep.

Don't see how that makes any difference whether it is 50m Cucurella or 30m Sosa?

He is not going to becone that player this season. He will, if lucky and good, fill in for either and get gradual minutes.

If he becomes as good as you think and good enough to challenge for a starting place, why would it matter who it is in front of him or how much they cost?

JWE will be 3rd choice at best this season, his injury record needs to sort its self out before he can be relied upon. He's had a couple of big injurys last couple of seasons.

You can grant his wishes anytime in the window to also suit our own needs...him leaving early weakens our negotiating stance as selling clubs know we are even lighter in the LB position.

Then what, he should waited until Arsenal losing interest on him and search other alternative? He instead get stuck again and playing season where get mostly on the bench again? Are we as club gonna tried pull shit like this just because we want our bargaining stance higher?, i thought we are supposed to be better than the likes of Levy but i guess some supporter around here likes his idea whether they are realizing it or not.

Treating our own player like object and not as person, the guy already giving everything he had for five year not complaining his role on team being benched mostly and we try to pull this shit by holding him back? Unbelieavable the word that our supporter throwing around here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.