It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

Yangel Herrera apparently on the verge of being loaned to Girona for the season.
An odd one as he only has two years left and we could probably get £15m for him this summer, he’d go for peanuts next summer. But maybe the club sees more long term value for the CFG in giving them the best possible chance to stay up in La Liga

Last summer there were claims of interest for circa 20m from a couple of clubs. As you say 15m or so this year would be good business. I think he would have struggled for a work permit for the PL last year, not sure if that has changed now. There hasn't been much interest reported either way.

Last summer there were claims of interest for circa 20m from a couple of clubs. As you say 15m or so this year would be good business. I think he would have struggled for a work permit for the PL last year, not sure if that has changed now. There hasn't been much interest reported either way.
He has 100 La Liga games, an established international and played in the Europa League so I think he’d get a permit ok. Surprised one of the mid-table or promoted teams like Leeds or Forest haven’t taken a punt, he’s better than Girona

I think I can answer one of the concerns occasionally raised on this thread. Namely why can’t our scouting /analytical department unearth gems like other clubs do while they are still cheap? It’s a good question.

The answer is twofold: firstly we do sometimes Alvarez being the latest. Secondly the reason we don’t do it more often isn’t because we aren’t aware of them but because we are operating at a really high level and can’t afford to take the gamble that others do, particularly when it involves a player who currently plays at a much lower level than the PL. So we are happy for other clubs to test them out and then pay a premium to the selling club who have taken the gamble. It’s also possible that the player is fine for them but not CL level, which is what we need.

The other point is that at the same time we are doing this we hope that the Academy provides some gems for us that have been brought up playing our system. The vast majority that don’t succeed are then sold on partly to pay the premium we pay other clubs.

So it’s our business model not a lack of knowledge.

I know people will dig me out over this but I really don’t think cancelo is that good.
If you watch the replay for the third goal against Villa, his incredibly shit pass followed by an equally shit clearance allowed KdB to nab the ball and put in the killer cross for Gundogan…

I think I can answer one of the concerns occasionally raised on this thread. Namely why can’t our scouting /analytical department unearth gems like other clubs do while they are still cheap? It’s a good question.

The answer is twofold: firstly we do sometimes Alvarez being the latest. Secondly the reason we don’t do it more often isn’t because we aren’t aware of them but because we are operating at a really high level and can’t afford to take the gamble that others do, particularly when it involves a player who currently plays at a much lower level than the PL. So we are happy for other clubs to test them out and then pay a premium to the selling club who have taken the gamble. It’s also possible that the player is fine for them but not CL level, which is what we need.

The other point is that at the same time we are doing this we hope that the Academy provides some gems for us that have been brought up playing our system. The vast majority that don’t succeed are then sold on partly to pay the premium we pay other clubs.

Exactly. When we can sell 3 or 4 academy kids to make up the "extra" money for a proven player as opposed to a punt it makes sense to go for a tried and tested player rather than someone with raw talent. We look to sign those raw talents at a much younger age to embed them in the academy and get them trained to the way we expect them to play. The fact we're looking good for a net spend trophy at some point proves it works.

Not rocket science is it pal?

I can't see how this whole narrative "City desperately needs LB" would suit us in negotiating with other clubs. We saw how Brighton is pulling that leverage. Ideally, the squad should be complete by mid August.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.