It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

Where’s the controversial opinion? He’s our most important player.

Some would/will disagree with us.
Some would suggest in Pep's system it starts with the Keeper, don't get one good with his feet then it is game over from the off.

Now I believe there are better keepers about than Eddie but none are as good with the ball at his feet and currently, that is all that matters.

We should start quoting from £170 Million plus for anyone who Barcelona/Real Madrid/Chelsea and teams of that Ilk come sniffing around our players, and tell them firmly that they either put up or shut up.
What we should start doing is 'tapping up' their players in the press.

City want Gavi, he would be ideal under Pep, and the player would love to play under Pep.

City would love to sign Fati, 60m bid in the summer

etc

Some would suggest in Pep's system it starts with the Keeper, don't get one good with his feet then it is game over from the off.

Now I believe there are better keepers about than Eddie but none are as good with the ball at his feet and currently, that is all that matters.
Eddie is absolutely important to our system, and go back a year or two and I would agree he is the most important, but I don’t think that is true now.

And that is mostly due to the majority of teams no longer pressing us high as they did when he first came. They have learned that the risk-reward of trying to win the ball off Eddie is not in their favour. Most now don’t even bother to send a player to him when he is in position; in fact, the current tactic is to drop to our fullbacks to try to stop us from playing out of the back.

Now, Eddie’s distribution still helps us greatly even in those situations, as he often finds the chip or long pass to our only relatively open player. But the advantage we gain is not quite as impactful as it used to be simply because the opposition has changed their tactics to try to reduce it.

That hasn’t (and perhaps can’t happen) with Rodri and his role in the team. If anything, he has become more important with that opposition tactics shift, as he is often the one either making himself available for the ‘pressure release’ pass from Eddie or positioning himself to create space for another player to be available. And his ability to not only bully midfielders and expertly break up play, but also hold the ball under pressure as the central pivot *and* find the outlet pass to transition and/or keep the move flowing, is absolutely vital to our system.

When Rodri is playing well we usually dominate, regardless of the performances of other players.

When Rodri is having one of his now rare poor performances we struggle.

When he doesn’t play (even more rare these days) we are simply not the same side.

Eddie is absolutely important to our system, and go back a year or two and I would agree he is the most important, but I don’t think that is true now.

And that is mostly due to the majority of teams no longer pressing us high as they did when he first came. They have learned that the risk-reward of trying to win the ball off Eddie is not in their favour. Most now don’t even bother to send a player to him when he is in position; in fact, the current tactic is to drop to our fullbacks to try to stop us from playing out of the back.

Now, Eddie’s distribution still helps us greatly even in those situations, as he often finds the chip or long pass to our only relatively open player. But the advantage we gain is not quite as impactful as it used to be simply because the opposition has changed their tactics to try to reduce it.

That hasn’t (and perhaps can’t happen) with Rodri and his role in the team. If anything, he has become more important with that opposition tactics shift, as he is often the one either making himself available for the ‘pressure release’ pass from Eddie or positioning himself to create space for another player to be available. And his ability to not only bully midfielders and expertly break up play, but also hold the ball under pressure as the central pivot *and* find the outlet pass to transition and/or keep the move flowing, is absolutely vital to our system.

When Rodri is playing well we usually dominate, regardless of the performances of other players.

When Rodri is having one of his now rare poor performances we struggle.

When he doesn’t play (even more rare these days) we are simply not the same side.
That is a very long reply tbf.

But the thing you miss is...

If we didn't have Eddie then all the things you say that don't happen now would begin to happen again and the team wouldn't be the same ;)

In all fairness, I never said Rodri wasn't a very important part of the team, integral even but it still starts from the back for Pep.

It won't change the City narrative where football's concerned. We'll always be viewed as FFP cheats, moneybags City, funded by illicit oil money from a terrorist Sheikh who's ruined football regardless of what we do.

It's why I stopped caring what people thought, after the penny finally dropped for me a few years ago. Arsenal were playing lower league opposition in an away League Cup tie. An Arsenal player was cleaned out in a challenge & they were rightly awarded a free kick.

The home team fans started chanting "Same old Arsenal, always cheating". They'd never played Arsenal before iirc & would probably never play them again, but decades after that chant started, this lot were chanting it. I've heard it chanted a couple of times this season too.

Will fans ever stop singing this to Arsenal, or accusing City of being FFP cheats & an oil money club? I very much doubt it. Look how much ManUre & the Chavs have spent this summer? Is anyone calling them FFP cheats, a venture capital club, or a shopping mall club?

We need to accept the labels we've been lumbered with will probably stick forever, & just make our football do the talking on the pitch... \0/

I'd prefer it if people "talking" about our club were well informed and fair minded but football nad bias go hand in hand - alwasy have, always will. So while the shit we get can be a minor irritation, I ultimately only care about City continuing to be important to me and, of course, it would be helped by them continuing to be one of the best football teams I have ever had the very great pleasure to witness.

F##k the rest :)

It won't change the City narrative where football's concerned. We'll always be viewed as FFP cheats, moneybags City, funded by illicit oil money from a terrorist Sheikh who's ruined football regardless of what we do.

It's why I stopped caring what people thought, after the penny finally dropped for me a few years ago. Arsenal were playing lower league opposition in an away League Cup tie. An Arsenal player was cleaned out in a challenge & they were rightly awarded a free kick.

The home team fans started chanting "Same old Arsenal, always cheating". They'd never played Arsenal before iirc & would probably never play them again, but decades after that chant started, this lot were chanting it. I've heard it chanted a couple of times this season too.

Will fans ever stop singing this to Arsenal, or accusing City of being FFP cheats & an oil money club? I very much doubt it. Look how much ManUre & the Chavs have spent this summer? Is anyone calling them FFP cheats, a venture capital club, or a shopping mall club?

We need to accept the labels we've been lumbered with will probably stick forever, & just make our football do the talking on the pitch... \0/
Well said and they can call us what they want as long as this continues...

1664334911320.png

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.