It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

I'm guessing it will be Aké as main LB and Perrone as second choice. Perrone is a technically gifted, left-footed defensive midfielder... It's exactly Peps type of LB.

Phillips is Rodris backup, that probably won't change. So no place for Perrone there.

I expect him to play inverted, same as Rico. Gives us more tactical options but to be honest.. I'd really like us to sign a proper fucking leftback. None of this Delph, Zini, Cancelo, Aké, Laporte. Just a normal LB for once.

I'm guessing it will be Aké as main LB and Perrone as second choice. Perrone is a technically gifted, left-footed defensive midfielder... It's exactly Peps type of LB.

Phillips is Rodris backup, that probably won't change. So no place for Perrone there.

I expect him to play inverted, same as Rico. Gives us more tactical options but to be honest.. I'd really like us to sign a proper fucking leftback. None of this Delph, Zini, Cancelo, Aké, Laporte. Just a normal LB for once.
As much as Perrone could probably do that role I think Gomez is likely to be Aké's back-up.

A Wilson-Esbrand recall might not be off the cards entirely?

We've signed 2 "proper fucking leftbacks" since Pep took over. Voldemort and Angeliño.

2 of his worst signings and 2 of our worst players to play the position in that time.

This obsession with getting a "natural" (as if anyone is naturally born to play a specific football position...) left back is strange when the best players in that position during Pep's reign have been Cancelo, Zinchenko and Delph...

Before I say what I'm about to say, I'll put it out there that we should absolutely be buying a top class left back.

But... I'm kind of sick of the Ake isn't a left back talk to justify it. Firstly, I don't consider what he is doing in most games a left back. It's the left centre half of a back three. The left and right centre Half's push up a bit because it's a pep team and it's fluid. Second, he's been one of our most consistent and reliable players this season.

Obviously he plays as a more traditional left back at times, but for the most part we play like this;

.........stones..............akanji.............Ake..................

.......,..................Rico..........rodri...............................

Mahrez........kdb..........................gundo....grealish
..................................haaland..................................

So using Ake as a left back as justification as to why cancelo going is bad and we need a new left back is nonsense. Add to that, cancelo was splitting the dressing room and causing rot, I'd rather just get rid. Pep was refusing to use him anyway.

All that being said, we should be buying a left back so that we have the option of playing with traditional fullbacks as the above formation is still being adapted to and not always suitable.

Not looking for a replacement or not accelerating existing plans is a bit amateur. Aké has done ok as LB but he's a CB and it only really works with a RB who slots in - which Rico can do, but the other RB options struggle with. We have 5 CBs but 3 of them have been injured/recovering from surgery this year. As has the only senior fullback. Not replacing a fullback due to having cover from a CB is daft, risky and unnecessary.

Other competing clubs, have strengthened yet we have reduced our squad size in a disrupted season. Bizarre. Absolutely bizarre

A proper left back has to know how to play in midfield they ain’t many them about!

We've signed 2 "proper fucking leftbacks" since Pep took over. Voldemort and Angeliño.

2 of his worst signings and 2 of our worst players to play the position in that time.

This obsession with getting a "natural" (as if anyone is naturally born to play a specific football position...) left back is strange when the best players in that position during Pep's reign have been Cancelo, Zinchenko and Delph...
Forgot about Angelino, that's fair. But Voldemort was a low-risk-might-work-out-buy. Nothing to expect. And don't forget Mendy, he was actually decent. We murdered teams in the first few months after he joined, before his injury. I just want to see a LB that can overlap and cross, it's all I ask for. And yes I know, Pep obviously knows way better what he's doing than me.

As much as Perrone could probably do that role I think Gomez is likely to be Aké's back-up.

A Wilson-Esbrand recall might not be off the cards entirely?
"A Wilson-Esbrand recall might not be off the cards entirely?"

Why, we are half way through the season do you suddenly think Pep would now rate him and want him back?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.