It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

The same people with the posturing decrying “shiny new toys” at posters are the same who will turn into Todd Boehly when Pep isn’t around anymore. They’ll want ten new players every window breaking the bank, especially if rivals start winning big. Too bad I don’t know if I’ll be here to watch the transformation

Oh, why are we signing a 19 year old when we have a 19 year old already?… Another very sophisticated point.
If we were signing a 19 year old Messi while having a 19 year old Glenn Whelan, you'd have a point. We are not though, there is equal potential and talent there. The other players have more minutes, but that doesn't mean they are better, just that they play for lower level and less demanding teams. Coming here, they'd hardly get more of a chance than the ones already here.

Why is it that 19-21 year old players like doku, viega, cherki, barcola who play in second rate teams, can be moulded by Pep, but players like Palmer, Bobb, of a similar age playing for a top club and already learning from Pep, can't?

Don't get me wrong, I think we need a serious player to replace Mahrez, who was a top player coming to the end of his prime. And I just don't think Palmer or Bobb are ready to play that significant a role for us. But I also don't get the excitement over these young, untested, unproven players who also imo are nowhere near the level needed.

"Second rate teams" is a bit of a raggy thing to say. Sane scored eight goals for Schalke before he came to us, and look how that turned out. Kev, Kompany, David Silva, Jack, Ake, Laporte... tons of our greatest players came from teams that are outside of the established elite. Mbappe started at Monaco. Haaland started at Bryne. What on Earth does a player's current club have to do with their potential or talent? Isn't everyone always saying "I wish we were more like Brighton finding all these random gems like Mitoma and Caicedo?"

And you say "players like Palmer, Bobb, of a similar age playing for a top club". But, they're not, are they? Palmer, okay, he had a few minutes last year, but he's not a week-in week-out starter for us in the slightest. And Bobb is an academy player. McAtee has played at Championship level. There's a big difference between a lad with two full Prem seasons under his belt like Olise or one who has started European games and helped push Rennes into CL contention like Doku and a lad playing EDS football. And, logic may dictate, it might be easier for someone who is used to high-level football to make more of an immediate impact as opposed to someone who has spent most/all of their career up to that point playing against teenagers.

I think there's a general consensus that we'd all love to see as many academy lads as possible making the first team. But I think there's also a widespread misconception of the vast difference between "Doing well at academy level" and "Playing for the treble winners under Pep". Phil is a very, very rare gem. He's an exception. We aren't gonna get a Phil every year. It just won't happen. It'd be fantastic if Bobb or McAtee or whoever could reach that level, but the odds of that are so slim, and most of these lads need to be playing regularly to continue their development, which is why I think loans are needed for a couple, if not transfers.

Ultimately, for me, it's sod all to do with "shiny toys". It's what Pep thinks is best. If he has actually said "I want Olise/Cherki/Doku/whoever" then that means he has seen something in that player that makes him think they can cut it in the best team in the world. And he's usually right about these things. That's why I get excited over it. Similarly, if he says "I think Bobb/McAtee/Palmer is all we need" then that's absolutely fine too. He's given us the best years of following the club and I have no reason to doubt him now. He'll make it work, whether that's with new players or academy talents.

"Second rate teams" is a bit of a raggy thing to say. Sane scored eight goals for Schalke before he came to us, and look how that turned out. Kev, Kompany, David Silva, Jack, Ake, Laporte... tons of our greatest players came from teams that are outside of the established elite. Mbappe started at Monaco. Haaland started at Bryne. What on Earth does a player's current club have to do with their potential or talent? Isn't everyone always saying "I wish we were more like Brighton finding all these random gems like Mitoma and Caicedo?"

And you say "players like Palmer, Bobb, of a similar age playing for a top club". But, they're not, are they? Palmer, okay, he had a few minutes last year, but he's not a week-in week-out starter for us in the slightest. And Bobb is an academy player. McAtee has played at Championship level. There's a big difference between a lad with two full Prem seasons under his belt like Olise or one who has started European games and helped push Rennes into CL contention like Doku and a lad playing EDS football. And, logic may dictate, it might be easier for someone who is used to high-level football to make more of an immediate impact as opposed to someone who has spent most/all of their career up to that point playing against teenagers.

I think there's a general consensus that we'd all love to see as many academy lads as possible making the first team. But I think there's also a widespread misconception of the vast difference between "Doing well at academy level" and "Playing for the treble winners under Pep". Phil is a very, very rare gem. He's an exception. We aren't gonna get a Phil every year. It just won't happen. It'd be fantastic if Bobb or McAtee or whoever could reach that level, but the odds of that are so slim, and most of these lads need to be playing regularly to continue their development, which is why I think loans are needed for a couple, if not transfers.

Ultimately, for me, it's sod all to do with "shiny toys". It's what Pep thinks is best. If he has actually said "I want Olise/Cherki/Doku/whoever" then that means he has seen something in that player that makes him think they can cut it in the best team in the world. And he's usually right about these things. That's why I get excited over it. Similarly, if he says "I think Bobb/McAtee/Palmer is all we need" then that's absolutely fine too. He's given us the best years of following the club and I have no reason to doubt him now. He'll make it work, whether that's with new players or academy talents.

Best response I've had in a while.

I'm sticking with a part of my original point, but I take all that on board and see the other side of it.

Sane is an interesting comparison btw, and it took him a season and a half to become a meaningful part of the team, before then leaving partly for not playing as much as he wanted to. The others you list were not signes as unproven promising 19 year olds.

Last edited:
The same people with the posturing decrying “shiny new toys” at posters are the same who will turn into Todd Boehly when Pep isn’t around anymore. They’ll want ten new players every window breaking the bank, especially if rivals start winning big. Too bad I don’t know if I’ll be here to watch the transformation
It’ll be a sad day for sure if this forum doesn’t have you keeping us all on the straight and narrow..

It’ll be a sad day for sure if this forum doesn’t have you keeping us all on the straight and narrow..
Then I hope you take up the mantle of defending that Kalvin Phillips is given yet another year and we play a full EDS team in our first team. Someone will have to

For Palmer to replace Mahrez hed have to seriously work on his finishing, I don’t know what happened to his finishing, that part of his game has got worse instead of improving.

He used to be a quality finisher in front of goal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.