It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

Interesting from Tolmie, I wonder if a few players are wanting a new challenge and we're blocking them as it would mean us having to replace like for like. With August fast approaching time is not on our side to do that

Interesting from Tolmie, I wonder if a few players are wanting a new challenge and we're blocking them as it would mean us having to replace like for like. With August fast approaching time is not on our side to do that
I hope we’re not blocking players but trying to secure replacements first. If want away and being kept that won’t bode well for performances.

We’ve been guilty of buying cheap and buying twice. We didn’t need stocking fillers. McAtee could’ve been kept last season.
Instead of Kovacic and Nunes, should’ve just bought one elite starter.
The focus is on raking in the profits by selling all the academy players. It’s just odd.
Might still win the league, but no one can say this is the best squad of the Pep era, so therefore we are going backwards.

Yep we should keep Perrone get rid of Philips Nunes and buy Bruno that's a midfield sorted

he said we were in for maybe one or two more after Savio....

But if Ederson and or Alvarez leave that is two more we would have to replace......Ederson going would have a huge affect on us...Ortega is a the better shot stopper BUT his passing out from the back only adds pressure on the defence)

And that is sill not answering the biggest issue of all and that is the Rodri back up

We fucked up buying Nunes and Phillips...we need them two gone as they aint upto it and are taking squad places and wages and are of no use...yet no one is going to take them off our hands except at a considerable loss to our investment.

As it stands (and obviously the end of the window is a 5-6 weeks away) I wouldnt bet on us winning the prem - No way can Rodri continue to play every game but we know how we struggle if he aint there...Kovacic aint the answer (and he played well last season but was more a a gundo replacement (without the goals) than a rodri back up. Phillips is never going to be the answer either....And its clear that some players are just not as motivated and want to move on (alvarez, Walker, Ederson, maybe even Bernardo - though his options are clearly very limited so he will probably still be here)
Would put money on Nunes, Walker and Bernardo staying, probably Alvarez too, Ederson 50/50.

Kabore, Couto should be sold soon, talk of 40m for the pair. That would be 100m raised already this summer, Cancelo could follow as well. I would be amazed if there wasn't one big signing to go with Savinho, Guimaraes or Kimmich would be the icing on the cake

Kabore, Couto should be sold soon, talk of 40m for the pair. That would be 100m raised already this summer, Cancelo could follow as well. I would be amazed if there wasn't one big signing to go with Savinho, Guimaraes or Kimmich would be the icing on the cake
No one will pay for Cancelo they just want to rent for free.

Kimmich is the most realistic option if he can lower his wage demand. He can cover RB and CM two positions. I am afraid Walker has already passed his prime.

Agree on not replacing Rodri at the same level

But how are we better placed than we were?

None of those combinations there are any where near Rodri level...Nunes could even get a game ahead of some of the kid when we were winning games comfortably. Time is one thing and I think Kovacic was a good short term purchase but Nunes like Phillips doesnt have the quality level needed (and i think he is avery decent footballer btw) - just not city level

Ageing is not controlable.....KDB's legs wont last and just because of his age (and dynamic style fo play) he is more prone to injury...he is not a natural athlete like for instance a Sterling (and i refer to him as Pep referred to Stirling many times in this way as he was rarely if ever injured despite the harsh treatment he got from defenders). KDB will pick up injuries through fatigue as well as impact more and more.

We often play Rodri on his own with two more attacking players ahead of him, if you want to rest Rodri you recognise that we can't have one player looking to dictate the game in the same way he does. Kovacic is good at passing through the lines, but he doesn't mop things up the same way, so you probably need someone alongside him who is more aware of their defensive responsibilities. Or you play someone inverted from full back alongside him to provide cover. As I said, the combinations used when Rodri was missing early in the season were experimental and didn't work, but we beat Luton 5-1 without him and I'm confident Pep will find the right combination if the squad is fit, to ensure we have the right balance. We're not a one man team, the statistic suggested we were but I don't believe we can't win games without him.

We often play Rodri on his own with two more attacking players ahead of him, if you want to rest Rodri you recognise that we can't have one player looking to dictate the game in the same way he does. Kovacic is good at passing through the lines, but he doesn't mop things up the same way, so you probably need someone alongside him who is more aware of their defensive responsibilities. Or you play someone inverted from full back alongside him to provide cover. As I said, the combinations used when Rodri was missing early in the season were experimental and didn't work, but we beat Luton 5-1 without him and I'm confident Pep will find the right combination if the squad is fit, to ensure we have the right balance. We're not a one man team, the statistic suggested we were but I don't believe we can't win games without him.
I dont think beating Luton is any basis for a presumption that we are ok without him with the players we currently have....
No we are not a one man team I agree but without Rodri we are defensively and attacking wise worse off and none of the combinations of players you mention (or that are possible with the current squad work anywhere near good enough to win important games)

Phillips with anyone or on his own - this is just a no - even alongside rodri he makes us worse
Nunes and Kovacic - both good ball carriers but neither are very good defenislvely

Kovacic and Rodri - not enough creativity as you have to drop one of KDB or Foden (unless you play foden wide which we all know aint the answer)

Rico can play in the midfield BUT not alongside anyone other than rodri

There is John Stones who is more than capable defensively and balll retention wise.....BUT he is so unreliable with his injuries that you cannot put all your eggs into this basket

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.