It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

He's been here 12 months, came with no pre-season so was playing catch up and was never going to be able to force his way in straight away unless there were massive injuries or nothing to play for.

His first 12 months might be identical to phillips, but it was also identical to cancelo or ake. There's no evidence to back the idea the writing is on the wall.
I'd argue that Nunes has looked far better for us than Phillips ever did.

I'd argue that Nunes has looked far better for us than Phillips ever did.
Agreed. I don't understand the shit he gets, he's shown plenty of signs that there's a top player in him in my eyes he just needs to learn from Pep and then bide his time and take it whenever it comes, exactly how Ake went.

Ake couldn't get a sniff for the first 18 months after injuries destroyed his pre-season, then he didn't have the time to learn as the season was in full flow just as Nunes experienced. After that he was down the pecking order and we never needed to go down that low so he was largely unused for a long time, then we had injuries he was needed and he took his chance and made it impossible for Pep to ignore him. That's what Nunes is going to have to do.

Phillips had the same problems to start with, injuries and no pre-season made his first season a write off but then he did the same in biding his time but when he was given a shot didn't take it and Pep very quickly lost faith in him and wouldn't play him even when he was needed. If we get a load of injuries and Pep is picking players widely out of position ahead of Nunes then perhaps you can question his future, until then be patient.

I agree that the outcome likely is right and that he has underperformed at Chelsea but if, as it seems, they didn’t communicate his likely role to him until after a preseason where he played every game and he genuinely was surprised as to his status and what not making the squad meant, Chelsea can go shit in a hat because his options at his salary and at the end of the window are very limited.

Chelsea pays their players well but treat them poorly so I have sympathy for Raheem.
I think we mostly agree but at the end of the day if you take Chelsea's money you know what you're signing up for. They haven't been a stable environment in forever so this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

edit: saw they gave away his number, which is pretty low

Last edited:
Agreed. I don't understand the shit he gets, he's shown plenty of signs that there's a top player in him in my eyes he just needs to learn from Pep and then bide his time and take it whenever it comes, exactly how Ake went.

Ake couldn't get a sniff for the first 18 months after injuries destroyed his pre-season, then he didn't have the time to learn as the season was in full flow just as Nunes experienced. After that he was down the pecking order and we never needed to go down that low so he was largely unused for a long time, then we had injuries he was needed and he took his chance and made it impossible for Pep to ignore him. That's what Nunes is going to have to do.

Phillips had the same problems to start with, injuries and no pre-season made his first season a write off but then he did the same in biding his time but when he was given a shot didn't take it and Pep very quickly lost faith in him and wouldn't play him even when he was needed. If we get a load of injuries and Pep is picking players widely out of position ahead of Nunes then perhaps you can question his future, until then be patient.
Ake had a disrupted first season with injuries, but in between his injuries Pep showed great trust in him, he played regularly against all level of teams in the PL. Take a look at his data in the link.

Pep just doesn't really seem to trust Nunes with regular game time. The only 3 90 minutes games he's played for us are 3 home games to Luton, Burnley and Forest.

Ake had a disrupted first season with injuries, but in between his injuries Pep showed great trust in him, he played regularly against all level of teams in the PL. Take a look at his data in the link.

Pep just doesn't really seem to trust Nunes with regular game time. The only 3 90 minutes games he's played for us are 3 home games to Luton, Burnley and Forest.

pep doesnt like to feck around with the midfield, rightfully so. you need immediate top quality contribution there or you are out

Start of that season was a mess with covid and we won the league at a canter that year too. I think we finished more than double digits ahead of 2nd so we could afford to give players gametime at the backend of the season.

I disagree with the idea he doesn't trust Nunes, we just have had better options available and haven't been in a situation where there isn't something on the line.

If we'd have been in a situation where the league was wrapped up and he wasn't getting games or the opposite where the league was officially gone and he wasn't playing then I can accept that as a sign he isn't fancied. That hasn't been thr case, we've been chased right to the last game, peps always going to play his best team in those situations. I simply don't believe there's been any sign whatsoever in such a short period of time that he is anything remotely like Phillips.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.