It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

Why is it likely to be a panic buy? Because that suits your narrative? I'll support the club regardless of whether they add a second striker to the squad or not. I don't have to resign myself to anything. It's a simple matter of my believing they should have someone on the squad to back up Haaland that plays as a true 9 and you and some others thinking because we haven't done so it must be the best way to go. There's not a thing radical about my opinion on this matter. Yours on the other hand? Who in the world of football of any note is going to a false 9 system as a back-up plan to an established number 9? City have never even done that. But you know it's an iron clad plan and I'm being an alarmist, negative, or whatever other thing you want to say to discredit my opinion. C'mon Boss, what are we talking about here?
If we actually wanted a true 9 as back-up and there was one available that we thought was up to the task and that player was also ok with probably spending most of the season on the bench, then I'm sure we would have signed one.

As we haven't yet signed one (maybe still will though looking unlikely), then it suggests that at least one of those criteria couldn't be met. In which case we have done the right thing.

Perhaps we looked at last season when Alvarez was the back-up plan for Haaland and have decided that someone like Foden can do the same things as Alvarez, and at least as well, and therefore we are happy with that.

Read the trail ffs.

I sair remember when people argued we were better without haaland, to begin with.
Exactly. And those idiots were saying that when we had Alvarez. Still dumb as shit, but at least there was an alternative.
Saying we'd be better off w/o Haaland now should get one incarcerated...

In the 2 seasons Erling Haaland has been here we have had Julian Alvarez here to provide back up at the 9. Now we don't have Alvarez.
You seemed happy with Alvarez was a back-up to Haaland, yet they are completely different players.

I really don't see that there's much that Alvarez could do that someone like Foden can't.

If we actually wanted a true 9 as back-up and there was one available that we thought was up to the task and that player was also ok with probably spending most of the season on the bench, then I'm sure we would have signed one.

As we haven't yet signed one (maybe still will though looking unlikely), then it suggests that at least one of those criteria couldn't be met. In which case we have done the right thing.

Perhaps we looked at last season when Alvarez was the back-up plan for Haaland and have decided that someone like Foden can do the same things as Alvarez, and at least as well, and therefore we are happy with that.
I understand your point, obviously, but it still strikes me as a bit odd that we can't find anyone to serve in that role the same way Palmer, Rico, Bobb, and even Phil to some extent, have done in past seasons and McAtee is likely to this season...

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not seeing many on here saying anything about us being a disaster. This is potentially the deepest, most versatile squad we've had under Pep. But it lacks a second player who plays in the 9 position. That's not hyperbole, complaining or anything else. It's just a simple fact. In the 2 seasons Erling Haaland has been here we have had Julian Alvarez here to provide back up at the 9. Now we don't have Alvarez. Again, the facts are we have no one. Not a less established player. Not a veteran who can do a job. No one. Hopefully this never becomes an issue for us in terms of derailing us from our objectives, small margins and all that...

We don't, you are right. And I wanted and expected one myself, for what it is worth.

What we do now have, instead of Alvarez is Gundogan and Savinho. Ok, they are not 'no.9s' but then neither was Alvarez really, the way we played him. He spent more time playing in Kevin's position than Haaland's even when he was injured.
9s 6s, the only numbers Pep sees anyway are completed passes, so we are not that rigid that our season would be defined by the absence of one player in a one specific position.

Btw, we could have signed a second striker, and he wouldn't have been immune from injury either.

I understand your point, obviously, but it still strikes me as a bit odd that we can't find anyone to serve in that role the same way Palmer, Rico, Bobb, and even Phil to some extent, have done in past seasons and McAtee is likely to this season...
Well it would seem that we either don't want one or haven't been able to find one.

Doesn’t matter how we spin it not signing a back up striker is very risky and we are now hoping that the big man doesn’t get a bad injury as it could make the things difficult. With the money made it’s well risky
Trouble is, there’s nobody good enough and, even if they were, they’d not come as they wouldn’t want to play second fiddle to Haaland.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.