It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

You seemed happy with Alvarez was a back-up to Haaland, yet they are completely different players.

I really don't see that there's much that Alvarez could do that someone like Foden can't.
Regardless of Foden doing a job as a 9 if he has to do it for an extended period of time we are in turn losing the best goal scoring AM in the Prem. None of KDB, Gundo, or Bernardo are going to duplicate that type of goal scoring at this time. Hopefully it never comes to that.

As an aside while Foden may be my favorite player on the squad and a much better all around footballer than Alvarez IMO, you may be discounting Alvarez' ability as purely a 9. To say Foden can step into that role and be just as effective is a bit presumptive and underestimates Alvarez as a striker...

As an aside while Foden may be my favorite player on the squad and a much better all around footballer than Alvarez IMO, you may be discounting Alvarez' ability as purely a 9. To say Foden can step into that role and be just as effective is a bit presumptive and underestimates Alvarez as a striker...
I must admit I was never a huge Alvarez fan (and that may cloud my judgement a bit) but I really think Foden could be at least as effective in that role.

Anyway, time will tell.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not seeing many on here saying anything about us being a disaster. This is potentially the deepest, most versatile squad we've had under Pep. But it lacks a second player who plays in the 9 position. That's not hyperbole, complaining or anything else. It's just a simple fact. In the 2 seasons Erling Haaland has been here we have had Julian Alvarez here to provide back up at the 9. Now we don't have Alvarez. Again, the facts are we have no one. Not a less established player. Not a veteran who can do a job. No one. Hopefully this never becomes an issue for us in terms of derailing us from our objectives, small margins and all that...
Be interesting to see how pep approaches the carabau cup, fa cup early rounds etc.
one things certain, Haaland will not play every game so pep must have a ‘plan b’

I must admit I was never a huge Alvarez fan (and that may cloud my judgement a bit) but I really think Foden could be at least as effective in that role.

Anyway, time will tell.
I think Haaland aside, Foden is the best finisher at the club. He's an absolute natural in front of goal and if Haaland were to get injured, i'd have no huge worries about Foden playing slightly further forward.

They're not desperate for a 9 though, that's just the media/social media fans peddling that idea because they don't have a haaland and it's easy for them to say "they'd be better if they had somebody like haaland" when looking for ways in which they can improve enough to best us in the league.

havertz fits the false 9 better than anybody we've ever had at city do it, that's his natural position, he can drop in and play and he's got the physical presence and goalscoring ability to replicate a real 9. Then they've got Jesus when he's fit, An actual striker who again can fill the roles of a genuine 9, soneone who drops and a winger.

Crucially, they've got goalscoring wingers, saka, Martinelli and trossard all weigh in with good numbers and odegaard behind them puts in good numbers too. They're set up to play with a false 9 and have more than 1 option to do it. We're geared towards play as a 9 with wingers to provide for the 9 and we only have 1 player to play as the 9. Without him our entire approach is thrown out of the window. We have a real need for one, arsenal do not.
Well stated!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.