It's Quiet - a new dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way we play we could have the best defender ever lived we going to let goals in. Its the 100 of chances we missed all season that was the problem and Pep knows that to so I think he know more than you.
Bang on. Pep see's the best way to defend as attack, this is clear. Peps teams all have had good defensive statistics due to how dominate his teams are.

People need to relax. Just having better quality full backs will make a big difference to how the current centre backs at the club will perform.
+1
CB is a bonus I believe. Wait for the right one and don't force it IMO. I recon Pep and Txiki know what the hell they are doing.

Some fans just don't get it!? Its mind set change how we going to play football and if anyone actually listened to Pep press conferences last season anyone asking about our defending and the goals we concede Pep always made the point first the chances we missed and we are going to play attacking football what ever the situation...

+1
CB is a bonus I believe. Wait for the right one and don't force it IMO. I recon Pep and Txiki know what the hell they are doing.

Pep said cover or VK was important. It's one of the few definite things he did say, plus we tried to sign another last season, so clearly we want one, but as you say, there is no point unless he's actually better than what we have & has the qualities of actually being able to have something of the same effect Vinny has.

If such a player is not available, no point in doing a Mancini & spending money on any old shit for the sake of it.

Some fans just don't get it!? Its mind set change how we going to play football and if anyone actually listened to Pep press conferences last season anyone asking about our defending and the goals we concede Pep always made the point first the chances we missed and we are going to play attacking football what ever the situation...

Pep clearly said we need a cb.

He also said we were poor in both boxes

Fair point but I would have thought when one full back goes up the other stays back and covers. I think with the players we are after we won't need a new central defender anyway. Obviously we are going to defend from the front in every game. We couldn't do that last season because the players were either too knackered due to too many games or simply not good enough. We are seeking to have several different options up front in various formations and with different personnel from game to game, with no discernible difference in quality.

I see a lot of posters arguing that we shouldn't be after all these forwards / attacking midfielders but it makes total sense. These guys are the ones doing all the work both attacking wise and defensively. We need to be able to have the same quality in this area from game to game but from different players. Just like last season we could face for instance Barcelona in the CL before or after Liverpool in the PL. If we get the players we are after then we could approach both games with a different attacking line up but equally effective.

I will say Pep changed his defence too much last season, it's the only position where I would like some continuity, especially in terms of a solid partnership in the centre. I think this will be more possible next season when I expect the players in that position will be the least affected by fatigue. Totally agree Kompany's fitness is key, but touch wood it's looking good and I'm not sure spending £50m on the assumption of an unfit player is wise.

I don't disagree with the need for quality attacking players as we were undeniably profligate last season. What concerns me, and I'm not referring to your own well structured argument, is the general BM belief that strengthening the attack alone will cure whatever ills we had last season. Given that a great many opponents completely eschew anything resembling a build up against us (Everton and Trafford Town were good examples at the Etihad last season, as were Leicester at the King Power and Boro at the Riverside) in favour of long punts, often targeting one side of an exposed defence in particular, a tactic which bypasses our press and requires little in the way of finesse, it's imperative that we have defenders capable of dealing with opponents one on one in oceans of space next season if we're gonna finish top of the pile. Kompany's good at it for obvious physical reasons, but Otamendi, Kolarov, Clichy and even Stones all got 'rolled' or 'walked through' several times. All our current defenders are excellent with the ball at their feet, but I'd love to see someone as physically imposing and mobile as Kompany (Van Dijk is an obvious choice) in there as well as an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.