It's Quiet - a new dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't take anyone who actually thinks the defence is shocking seriously. We've conceded 1 more goal than Spurs in the last 10 games, and that includes playing Liverpool and Spurs at home, and Arsenal and Chelsea away, while Spurs have had 1 big game.

Defending is keeping the ball out of the net, and since the halfway point of the season, we've done that better than everyone except United, who are so defensive they can't buy a goal.

If we kept the same backline of Caballero, Clichy, Kolarov, Stones and Navas, playing as they have been for the last 3 months, but our forwards put away their chances, we'd win the league next year. The inevitable improvements in personnel over the summer will just be a bonus.
I think most people's gripes are not from the amount of goals conceded but instead HOW the goals were conceded. A lot of the goals we conceded happened not because the attackers were good but because our defense was being stupid. Even though in the end it doesn't matter how it happened, only that it did. Truth be told I think the way Pep set our defense up is correct, but individual mistakes (EHM CLICHY) became our undoing.

there is another way to look at this .

WHEN we have to defend we are shit....we don't have to do it a lot cause of the amount of possession that we have....but when we are called to defend it is atrocious and that is a fact. Pep has said it himself....the opposition only need one chance to score and they do, we need to be better in both boxes...constant comments from the manager.....when are defenders and keeper (and in particular bravo) are called into action they fail....Bravo had one shot to stop vs hull......and failed!

Stats don't always tell you the whole picture.

This is why Pep is so obsessed with possession (and rightly so) as when we have the ball the opposition cant score but as soon as they do we are extremely easy to create chances and to score against. Imagine if that weren't the case and that we actually had a keeper and a back of that when we aren't in possession they could actually do their jobs.
The danger is that against the best teams we wont always have the amount of possession so against some teams (and usually in the most important games) we will give away goals and against the likes of chelski that is a recipe of disaster as they can defend

Our defence is shocking ad the goal keeper situation (although Willy has done ok) needs to be rectified. Bravo needs to go end of.
I hate the "stats don't tell us the whole picture" line. Why? It implies that other modes tell us a better picture. They often don't. Stats gives us the best unbiased and unvarnished picture over s long period. Especially well curated stats.

By the way, you have lumped goalkeeping with defending, but if you separate them, you'll see the defense actually holds up pretty convincingly. Generally better than Chelsea. And outside of tackling, which probably is slanted by Kante's 69 tackles, we are better than they are or on par on practically everything else: Interceptions, blocks, clearance, chance conceded, errors, air duels etc. Our only weakness compared to theirs is shots saved per goals conceded.

Meaning, their keeper makes up the difference.

Fuk!! There goes my first choice RB :( So what's the fallback option? The Monaco guy? :(

We can still go for Perreira. I think he is currently injured or just got back or Tolisso. Perhaps Henrichs (Tugay, I can't spell his name right to save my life). Semedo maybe. Urhh, not happy with this development.

There are a few good options, but when I thought of who we should get at fullback. 2 things high on my list were possession skills and aggression. Karsdorp and Hernandez showed some of th most aggression of the good possession fullbacks.

Oh well back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.