It's Quiet - a new dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do worry slightly about the front line being crowded, though. We hve seen how much martial and rashford over in trafford have stagnated this year, i dont want the same thing to happen to sane and sterling by effectively having a brand new front 3. Also, where does it leave sancho and diaz?

well that was one f the points i was making.....our keeper(s) are pretty damn poor and that putting it mildly.

however what the stats don't show you how easy it is to break on us, how easy it is for opposition to get crosses into our box, how easy it is to get onto the edge of our box and shots away. all you have to do is watch the games to see this. (I'm sure you do see it)
The problem here is that you only watch our games judiciously. But none of the others around us. So to understand whether it is easy to get at us, you'd have compare it to how easy it is to get at the other 5 teams in the top six. It is this gap in the average fan's knowledge that stats help with.

If on average teams create less chances against us than most in the top five, and our possession stats are similar, then we are doing things ok defensively. Even if you can point to problematic instances you remember. What the stats is saying is that other teams have those instances too, and not necessar
No, it just implies that statistics don't tell us the whole picture and that's because they don't.

Stats are a brilliant tool when applied correctly. Unfortunately, they often aren't and we end up with people who don't watch a player but think they know all there is about him because they have a scroll through their profile on whoscored.

Overemphasis on the importance of statistical analysis is partly why (amongst a myriad of other reasons) sites such as r/soccer are borderline unusable for me. You're more likely to find a full blown argument about sample sizes than about football itself.

As I said, they're a useful resource but they most certainly don't tell the whole picture.
No modes individually gives us the whole picture. So stating one mode doesn't only serves to attempt to undermine it.

By stating what the stats say, I'm not suggesting it tells us everything. So a retort that it doesn't tell us everything is redundant. Unless the purpose of the retort is to undermine the point being highlighted by reference to the stats.

For the most part almost no one has a full picture of what every team in the league is doing at the same time. So to judge more accurately in comparison to each other, using curated stats is a by far better approach than guesing. Which frankly is what we do when we say our defense is bad and Chelsea's is good. We conclude this by noting what we've seen of our defense, and compare that to our guess about Chelsea based on conceding fewer goals.

Now if a curated stat shows that over the season we've conceded fewer chances than say Chelsea, or even similar chances, but yet conceded disproportionately higher number of goals. Someone responding with "stats doesn't show everything" is simply using that line to discredit a curated fact you could only have deduced from either watching both teams judiciously (not just one) or examining their stats side by side.

Since almost no one here watches all the teams judiciously and if you or @simon23 do then I apologize. But if my assumption is right that like me you watch more City games judiciously and the other teams for entertainment. Then a statistical comparison is a way better barometer of the truth than either of our opinions drawn from just watching our team and making educated guesses about the others.

Thus, the fact that stats doesn't show us everything is irrelevant if it shows us more than our guesses and assumptions.

Dax777 literally just explained to you how we have the same possession as the other top 4 teams but concede far fewer shots, so to reply to that comment saying "yes but we concede less shots because of higher possession"....no.

the qua;it of the chance (or if you want it another way - the ease of the chances) that teams have against us is something that needs to be addressed...if we are conceding fewer shots but losing,drawing games...some of it is about putting our chances away...but some of it is down to the defending and the lack of quality.....one simple example is the one vs monaco where stones one on one with the attacker lets him past far too easy, kolarov slicing into his own net (was it against celtic?)

if we only conceded 2 shots a game thats cause of the possession but if they are scoring from those two chances then its down to bad defending and/or bad keeping. Look at everton game as an example

Go through all our defenders and name one of them that you are fully happy with (Stones at a push though he has a lot to do) and Kompany (f fit)......thats it....the rest are not good enough and need to be replaced. Pep tried to buy 2 centre halves in the summer....clearly he wasn't happy with what he has...he will go out an buy fullbacks...that should tell you the same thing.

Keep sticking up for the inadequate players we have but we need better in defence than was the have

He also happens to be shit.

Back to La Liga for him.

I don't disagree on his performances in shot stopping, but he is Pep's man playing the ball out how Pep wants it to be played and it's his first season in England, so he'll be cut some slack

Who in La Liga would take him after his performances this season and his wage would rule him out of all but Real Madrid, Barcelona, Seville and Athletico Madrid, unless we were to stump up half his salary on a loan deal

There is something wrong with the goalkeeper perhaps. But if the defence keeps the opposition to just 2 or 3 chances a game. Then its playing very well. And possession wise we ate around the same as every other top 6 team I think we and Arsenal are 1 %rage point better than Pool and Chelsea and 2 over United and Spurs. In other words, its not just possession that is causing the lack of opportunities. The other top 6 teams have majority possession too. Yet they give up more shots. But save more.

Statistically, its our goalkeeping that is inferior, not our defending per see.

Very hard to separate the two Dax.

When do you think he became shit?
When he stopped being able to keep the ball out of the net, so when he started doing his job at 50%

Losses will be cut, I'll happily wager that.

To @dickie davies if you reckon no La Liga team will take him because of his performances this season then why should we keep him?

When he stopped being able to keep the ball out of the net, so when he started doing his job at 50%

Losses will be cut, I'll happily wager that.

To @dickie davies if you reckon no La Liga team will take him because of his performances this season then why should we keep him?

So you think he went from arguably World Class to shit in the space of what...4 months. That is unusual isn't it?

So you think he went from arguably World Class to shit in the space of what...4 months. That is unusual isn't it?
I never thought he was World Class, said that at the time, so it's not that unusual to me no; that he went from a decent 'keeper to one doing half his job.

Look at Torres, his decline from one of the most lethal Premier League strikers to misser of open nets probably happened quicker.

I never thought he was World Class, said that at the time, so it's not that unusual to me no; that he went from a decent 'keeper to one doing half his job.

Look at Torres, his decline from one of the most lethal Premier League strikers to misser of open nets probably happened quicker.
Fair enough. If you didn't rate him at Barca or for Chile it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.