It's Quiet - a new dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Ronaldo Nazario became the biggest brand in football being only 19-20 yo." Find me Real Madrid in this sentence.
Well, you were replying to a poster that stated signing teenagers wasn't Madrid/Perez's MO as they prefer established players. You used Ronaldo as an example of why that wasn't necessarily true. I'm suggesting it was a poor example as they didn't sign him until his mid 20s, which backs up the OP's point about established players rather than disproving it.
At Mbappe's age Ronaldo was at PSV, iirc when he moved to Barca aged 20 Madrid weren't even linked (although this was pre social media/internet). He then went to Inter and Real started to take an interest after he won the world cup with Brazil. So the OP there probably had the right of it, although Zidane as coach might have a personal interest in a top French youngster, Perez won't be spending big money on him until he either has a huge impact in next year's World Cup or proves himself at a higher profile club/league than Monaco.

I state that Madrid have a policy of signing prime (25-26) superstars rather than younger, developing talent. You counter by using an example of someone who Real Madrid didn't sign until he was 26, despite being famous much earlier. Ok.
I mean the ability is the most decisive factor, not age. Mbappe has it and will be able to play for Madris in 2 years. And he's already pretty famous, don't you think? Of course, Mardid "has a tendency" of signing mature players, but i don't see any contradiction as Mbappe is a unique, very well may be once-in-a generation player. You can't extrapolate any tendencies to such examples. As for Perez's marketing strategy of buying hyped players, Mbappe suits it fine.

Perez won't be spending big money on him until he either has a huge impact in next year's World Cup or proves himself at a higher profile club/league than Monaco.
The kid will play (and probably score) in CL semis this year. What more proof do you need mate? It's the highest level of football today.

Yeah like said start low and you work up to what you are willing to pay or should we just slap 100m down?

"Start low"

You don't walk into a Ferrari dealership and offer them £30k because you're "starting low".

Monaco don't need money, they have every mega rich club in Europe interested in the kid.

Why do people think that walking up to them and making an offer everyone knows is miles below what they'll ask is anything other than derisory?

The kid will play (and probably score) in CL semis this year. What more proof do you need mate? It's the highest level of football today.
Personally? I'd like to see the kid play more, he did fuck all in the groups and 3 games is a bit of a small sample size.
I'm not Perez though. Unless there's a big change from his usual behaviour he'll go after an established star this summer (someone at the level/profile of say, Hazard) and pick Mbappe up in a few years when his signing will have the biggest impact - Perez doesn't seem to think, "oh look here's a lad that if he works out well, we could have him in the first team for more than 10 years". The entire Galactico business model is built on hype and player turnover, it needs new star signings every year to function.

Personally? I'd like to see the kid play more, he did fuck all in the groups and 3 games is a bit of a small sample size.
I'm not Perez though. Unless there's a big change from his usual behaviour he'll go after an established star this summer (someone at the level/profile of say, Hazard) and pick Mbappe up in a few years when his signing will have the biggest impact - Perez doesn't seem to think, "oh look here's a lad that if he works out well, we could have him in the first team for more than 10 years". The entire Galactico business model is built on hype and player turnover, it needs new star signings every year to function.
Fair enough, I expect a dip in his scoring rate too, as the managers will start to design particular tactics to stop him. Happened to R9 and Messi in the past as well.

You don't get it.

We offered £40m for a 17 year old who'd played 2 professional games.

Real and Arsenal tried to spend 7 figures on him before he signed a professional contract.

people in the game have known about this kid for years and have been making absurd, literally unthinkable offers for him for years.

Obviously the people at the top of the game think he's a once in a generation talent - backed up by the fact he's scored 21 goals in his first season by the way, that's completely unheard of - and want to buy him for whatever it takes *now*.

In 2 years time no one will be able to afford him or he'll be at a club who won't sell at any price.

Perez knows this, and the fact that both Marca and AS had 4 or 5 front pages dedicated to Mbappé in the last international break should tell you that there's already more than enough hype there, the rest will come from the transfer fee and breaking a world record for a teenager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.