It's quiet... summer 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I notice Delph seems a popular selection as left back cover for next season. I think he's acquitted himself well to the role but at times he has shown a few defensive frailties. Likewise Zinchenko has shown a few defensive frailties but I love his quick one touch passing that really helps our tempo. Zinchenko is young, can get better and is less prone to injuries than Delph. If it was me I'd be having Zinchenko as the 2nd leftback next season.

Of the 25 players currently in our senior squad, I think the ones who will definitely not leave are Ederson, Walker, Stones, Otamendi, Laporte, Mendy, Fernandinho, Silva, De Bruyne, Sterling, Sané and Jesus. The ones we'll actively look to ship out will probably be Adarabioyo and Bravo, with Touré getting released. As usual, I'd imagine the toughest job for the club will be shifting the players who we currently have out on loan, especially the older ones like Hart and Mangala.

I have a feeling that Delph could be the surprise departure this summer, because if we get a left-back and a defensive midfielder then he won't be getting a lot of gametime next season. I don't think we should rule out moves away for Aguero or Danilo, both of whom I've inferred aren't entirely happy with their situations. If Danilo leaves we would do well to bring Maffeo back, but if Aguero leaves the only way to replace him would be by spending big on one of the very few players in the world who are at his level.

I think we should bring in Fred, Johnny Evans (if WBA are relegated), Leon Bailey and Ryan Bertrand (if Southampton go down). Everything else depends on outgoings.

I notice Delph seems a popular selection as left back cover for next season. I think he's acquitted himself well to the role but at times he has shown a few defensive frailties. Likewise Zinchenko has shown a few defensive frailties but I love his quick one touch passing that really helps our tempo. Zinchenko is young, can get better and is less prone to injuries than Delph. If it was me I'd be having Zinchenko as the 2nd leftback next season.
Why not both?

Ederson Bravo/Gunn
Walker Danilo
Stones Otamendi Laporte Kompany Adarabioyo
Mendy Delph Zinchenko
Fernandinho Fred
KDB Silva Bernardo Gundogan Foden
Sterling Sane Kluivert Diaz
Griezmann Jesus

Ederson
Walker Stones Laporte Mendy
Fred
KDB Bernardo
Sterling Griezmann Sane

Thats what i would do if aguero leaves, which i think is likely

IF we are going for a LB this summer, what about Kieran Tierney from Celtic? He has played 41 games this season, which is a lot, and he has scored 3 goals and got 9 assists. I know he plays in a farmers league, but Celtic is a pretty good team and he has been looking great for them. The only chance this would happen is if Zinchenko goes on loan, and Delph stays as a backup for Dinho

IF we are going for a LB this summer, what about Kieran Tierney from Celtic? He has played 41 games this season, which is a lot, and he has scored 3 goals and got 9 assists. I know he plays in a farmers league, but Celtic is a pretty good team and he has been looking great for them. The only chance this would happen is if Zinchenko goes on loan, and Delph stays as a backup for Dinho
No way we go into next season with only Fernandinho and Delph for our deep midfield options.

I think we will go for only 2-3 players at most.

I seem to remember the chairman saying something about not being able to continuously bring in 5-6 players every summer (its just not sustainable)..

We have overhauled the squad hugely in the last couple of transfers and with the purchase of Laporte that addresses another major weakness.

We need a replacement/cover for Dihno - that is the obvious position we need to buy for.

Pep clearly wants another attacking option - not a central striker but another player who can play anywhere along the front line - i think this is regardless of what happens with Kun (i think personally he will play here until his contract runs out and we will then let him go)...So will it be someone like Mahrez or someone young and upcoming like Leon Bailey?

Then we may need another defender.....however will it be a left back? (Delph and Zincehko have both done very well, but neither offer fully what Pep wants - that ability to really go not he outside of the opposition fullback like walker and Mendy do). Will he therefore go for someone like Bertrand or another option or stick with what he has. The other question is Kompany - i think Kompany would happily take a reduced role (4th choice) within the squad while remaining as club capt....This may even help him with his fitness, but will Pep take this chance?

Therefore is it one defender or two?

I really like Son (spurs forward) as a player - think Pep would to. He just strikes me as the intelligent type of player Pep loves to work with; versatile, skilful ,with an amazing attitude and work rate......However spurs would probably try to price us out of a move so its highly unlikely.

Last edited:
No way we go into next season with only Fernandinho and Delph for our deep midfield options.
We will sign a DM, and Delph will be a squad player that can cover LB and DM, unless he leaves. It could be smart to send Zinchenko on a loan to a PL team next season where he would play regularly, and then he could take Delphs place the year after.

A DM and a winger is all we need, imo. A LB would be a luxury signing, but I think we would be fine with Mendy, Delph/Zinchenko. I don`t think we need another CB, because if we sign someone who can play as a DM, Dinho could play CB as well. Maffeo back from loan could be a great addition. It looks like Fred is a target for DM, but I would prefer one of Fabinho, Can (free), Frenkie De Jong, Ndidi or Diawara. There are several great wingers out there, but I would prefer Bailey, Bernard (free), Kluivert or Neres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.