It's quiet... summer 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are ideas that persist but don't stand up to basic reasoning. I fear this is one of them.

You go to games to uphold tradition. You analyze reems of videos, and statistics, over a period, to note tendecies, history of development, rate of development, and do a comparative analysis of the options available.

That some old foggies still hold on to antiquated notions of their genius ability to 'spot talent' is both a detriment and an opportunity. The former for their clubs and the latter for smarter teams who have learned. Thankfully, almost every team knows this now.

The video and data is what shapes knowledge and understanding. Going to watch a match gives you at best snapshot in time, when what you in fact want is a historical trend over time.

But like I said, I'd rather concede the point to you. Even though it seems you really really don't want me to. :)

So we employ 1000s of people around the world going to watch players, just for old times sake.

What a stupid fucking club.

Yes.

It was.

The club exhausts all angles. That’s the purpose of having financial superiority. Where you two are caught up is at how valueable live scouts are. Personally, with technology, I think that that value has been diminishing for years and will continue to do so but live scouting still has a place.

@Dax777

The club exhausts all angles. That’s the purpose of having financial superiority. Where you two are caught up is at how valueable live scouts are. Personally, with technology, I think that that value has been diminishing for years and will continue to do so but live scouting still has a place.

@Dax777

It's dead simple why live scouting will never stop: live you can see the whole pitch & all that involves, & get a true idea of how the game, the atmosphere, the referee etc etc etc is affecting the play of the player you are watching & how the player affects the game & the atmosphere etc.
I've been watching football since the 60s and every single player I've ever seen, is a totally different animal, in the flesh, than on video plus, when you have seen said player in the flesh, you then watch him differently on video.

Video is good for studying details you may have missed & games you cannot attend. Also good for 'demoing' players you have never seen, so you can then go & watch them, which is exactly what happens.

It will never stop until technology enables a full 3d surround experience anyhow.

It's dead simple why live scouting will never stop: live you can see the whole pitch & all that involves, & get a true idea of how the game, the atmosphere, the referee etc etc etc is affecting the play of the player you are watching & how the player affects the game & the atmosphere etc.
I've been watching football since the 60s and every single player I've ever seen, is a totally different animal, in the flesh, than on video plus, when you have seen said player in the flesh, you then watch him differently on video.

Video is good for studying details you may have missed & games you cannot attend. Also good for 'demoing' players you have never seen, so you can then go & watch them, which is exactly what happens.

It will never stop until technology enables a full 3d surround experience anyhow.

So you agree with us?

@Dax777
That's a diplomatic answer. :) But the truth lies in the bolded.

The need to go see a player live, speaks mostly to the arrogance of one's ability to 'see better' or 'see the whole field' or spot things video doesn't catch.
It's all pretty silly to be honest. Of course If I were a scout I'd go to games. But I'd do so for my own enjoyment and for the purpose of meeting and chatting with the prospect in person.

However, there is nothing about the 90 minutes he is about to play that I won't get better information out of a well currated video of the same game and his stats.

There is no siting area in the stadium where you have the vantage point of multiple cameras and displays. In almost every instance, you have an inferior view of what's going on

Whooptifukingdo! you can see the whole field. Nothing happens in 50% of the field at all times.That you could look 'over there' where NOTHING is happening, affords you no new or better information.
No matter where in the stadium you sit, your depth perception will be compromised almost half the time. About 80% of people at stadiums lack the angle to tell if a play is offside or not. And it's not coz they've been drinking..

Going to games is fun. The atmosphere is alive. The energy is infectious, the food is shit but lovable and the experience is mesmerizing. So going to games will always give you a feeling TV doesn't.

But for the purposes of analysis... One is a tool, while the other is an acceptable distractionith perks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.