It's quiet... summer 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pogba was anonymous for most of most games & cashed in with a couple of high profile moments.

A typical rag player.

All of Croatia's midfield were better than him in the final.

I said this too; invisible the whole first half and most of the second but an average pass and a goal later he suddenly has been amazing all game and motm worthy. The sycophants are desperate for him to be seen as one of the best in the world as they have "invested" themselves into hyping him up so need to prove themselves right at any chance.

Stones, all day for me.

He's got the lot and won't be half as exposed trying to do it 20 yards from his own goal.

If he's on rotate with Fern, he gets the games his talent needs. He's ready.
I’m not convinced he has the composure required for the position, but I’ll be the first to admit I could be wrong on that count.

Stones, all day for me.

He's got the lot and won't be half as exposed trying to do it 20 yards from his own goal.

If he's on rotate with Fern, he gets the games his talent needs. He's ready.
Seems like a waste. Not a fan of playing young players out of position for the sake of it, he's good enough to start week in week out at centre half next to Laporte.

Seems like a waste. Not a fan of playing young players out of position for the sake of it, he's good enough to start week in week out at centre half next to Laporte.

It's a total waste not playing Stones at all, and he needs to play every week - he took responsibility at the World Cup and that is the last thing his game needed to take him to world class level.

If anything, he becomes another defensive screen in the No.6. - tackles better than Fern, passes through the lanes better than Fern (who also does it very well). He has height, he's quick and he's young enough to learn from Pep, just like Kimmich did.

My only concern would him being caught with his back to the play if someone gives him a turd of a pass, but Ederson solves a lot of that and it creates a new triangle at the base of the midfield which perhaps isn't as prevalent as it now needs to be, in terms of giving opponents another thing to look at?

We signed Vinny for a central midfield role, so it might also work the other way around.

It's a total waste not playing Stones at all, and he needs to play every week - he took responsibility at the World Cup and that is the last thing his game needed to take him to world class level.

If anything, he becomes another defensive screen in the No.6. - tackles better than Fern, passes through the lanes better than Fern (who also does it very well). He has height, he's quick and he's young enough to learn from Pep, just like Kimmich did.

My only concern would him being caught with his back to the play if someone gives him a turd of a pass, but Ederson solves a lot of that and it creates a new triangle at the base of the midfield which perhaps isn't as prevalent as it now needs to be, in terms of giving opponents another thing to look at?

We signed Vinny for a central midfield role, so it might also work the other way around.
And make him captain. Allow vinny to concentrate on playing and mentoring him as vice captain.

If we do move him though, it has to be permanent

And make him captain. Allow vinny to concentrate on playing and mentoring him as vice captain.

If we do move him though, it has to be permanent

I don't see it like that. KDB gets moved about, Silva has moved - it's always about being fluid as a squad?

Stones still has Vinny, Laporte and Otamendi to contend with for a regular starting place - if we are talking about needing to rotate with Fern, they Stones gets more opportunity to make starts - especially if Pep also goes three at the back in some games, further limiting starting opportunities for Stones and others.

Put it this way, Delph has morphed into the perfect left-back, to the point I genuinely feel more defensively sound when he plays rather than what Mendy gives us going the other way.

I have seen Frenkie De Jong talked about for the two positions - we have that person here already in the King of the North - John Stones.

I don't see it like that. KDB gets moved about, Silva has moved - it's always about being fluid as a squad?

Stones still has Vinny, Laporte and Otamendi to contend with for a regular starting place - if we are talking about needing to rotate with Fern, they Stones gets more opportunity to make starts - especially if Pep also goes three at the back in some games, further limiting starting opportunities for Stones and others.

Put it this way, Delph has morphed into the perfect left-back, to the point I genuinely feel more defensively sound when he plays rather than what Mendy gives us going the other way.

I have seen Frenkie De Jong talked about for the two positions - we have that person here already in the King of the North - John Stones.
I just think for stones confidence he needs to cement a position down. Rotate with fern yes but I feel if he is focused on the one spot he'll grow

I just think for stones confidence he needs to cement a position down. Rotate with fern yes but I feel if he is focused on the one spot he'll grow

Possibly, but you only have to see his one mistake in WC semi-final to show how tight the margins are - he was the best player on the pitch.

Central defenders are the last line of defence along with the goalkeeper, so it is always more difficult to build up that confidence.

The no.6 role would perhaps help his confidence a bit more as he has another line behind him to rectify any glaring mistakes.

It would also take a lot of understanding from the crowd, it never ceases to amaze me how many still start panicking and shouting for it to go long when we are trying to beat the press out from the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.