It's quiet... summer 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reckon Bailley would go for around £50m-60m, Max at £30m, Weigl at £50m and as much as I’d love Hazard we won’t get him for anything under £250m. I really doubt Chelsea would sell to us even at that price anyway.

FWIW I think the only first team players we bring in will be a winger who can play across the front line and a deep lying midfielder, with a few young players brought in too. Unless the rotation players like Danilo and Bravo want out.

Maybe it’s those first three - which are possible. Max would throw a question mark over Delph but I think Max would be a better back up to Mendy. Hazards under contract until 2020 so we have no leverage and I can’t see him pushing for a move so I guess you are right would have been nice though. Maybe we plough on with a revitalised Sergio and an improving Jesus. As for Chelsea not selling to us? I think there’s an agreement already in place for many EPL teams not to sell to us. We saw some potential evidence of that In the last transfer window. Neither Arsenal or Leicester wanted to do business with us. Not sure it matters we can find better value abroad in any case.

But which 17 foreign players would you include in our champions league squad next season?

Foreign (14): Ederson, Bravo, Kompany, Otamendi, Laporte, Mendy, Fernandinho, De Bruyne, Gundogan, Silva, Bernardo, Sane, Jesus, Aguero.
NT (4): Walker, Stones, Delph, Sterling.
CT (2): Maffeo, Angelino + any we don't loan. Keeping Maffeo & Angelino will allow us to move Danilo & Zinchenko and bring in top-class foreign players, losing Yaya frees up another spot so we could buy 3 before you even look at Bravo, what Vinnie does or even move someone on for an upgrade.

Maybe it’s those first three - which are possible. Max would throw a question mark over Delph but I think Max would be a better back up to Mendy. Hazards under contract until 2020 so we have no leverage and I can’t see him pushing for a move so I guess you are right would have been nice though. Maybe we plough on with a revitalised Sergio and an improving Jesus. As for Chelsea not selling to us? I think there’s an agreement already in place for many EPL teams not to sell to us. We saw some potential evidence of that In the last transfer window. Neither Arsenal or Leicester wanted to do business with us. Not sure it matters we can find better value abroad in any case.

Certainly is possible and if we do sign a left back then Max would be my choice, but I feel Delph has earned his place in this squad so I’m happy either way. Yeah exactly, there is absolutely no leverage with Hazard so I can’t see it at all.

Foreign (14): Ederson, Bravo, Kompany, Otamendi, Laporte, Mendy, Fernandinho, De Bruyne, Gundogan, Silva, Bernardo, Sane, Jesus, Aguero.
NT (4): Walker, Stones, Delph, Sterling.
CT (2): Maffeo, Angelino + any we don't loan. Keeping Maffeo & Angelino will allow us to move Danilo & Zinchenko and bring in top-class foreign players, losing Yaya frees up another spot so we could buy 3 before you even look at Bravo, what Vinnie does or even move someone on for an upgrade.

The good thing is we can include MAffeo and Angelino without losing players. But to sell Danilo and zinchenko and rely on both MAffeo and Angelino as cover for walker and Mendy seems like weakining the team to me. Would rather keep Danilo and loan out zinchenko. So Danilo would be second RB and third LB if needed. However that still leaves us with 17 foreign players. Even if you sell Bravo you would still need to replace him with a foreign or association trained player.

Definitely no loans for Zinny, Díaz or Foden for me. Most of the players we loan out tend to struggle for gametime and that can really damage their chances. I'd rather they stay here unless a perfect club comes in who will use them regularly (Maffeo at Girona, Roberts at Celtic).

My cynical side sees a loan as a kiss of death, a subtle confirmation that a player has no future here.

Well Weigl or a.n other will replace Toure. A wide forward would probably need either Zinchenko or Danilo to make room.

Exactly. Which means we will not be signing more than 3/4 players. I can see Weigl and Raphael Leao coming in place of Yaya and Zinchenko, who will be loaned or sold with a big buy-back clause. I can see us add one or two top young teenagers to the squad such as Gomez from PSG but they will not be really used in the in the first team, playing in the academy of being loaned, ala Pat Roberts.

To summarise I see 2 players in and out. If Delph or Bravo decide to move on then I see maximum 4 players in and 4 players out of the first team squad. Nothing more
Yaya ----Weigl
Zinchenko---- leao
Delph-----Bertrand????
Bravo-----Reina????

The good thing is we can include MAffeo and Angelino without losing players. But to sell Danilo and zinchenko and rely on both MAffeo and Angelino as cover for walker and Mendy seems like weakining the team to me. Would rather keep Danilo and loan out zinchenko. So Danilo would be second RB and third LB if needed. However that still leaves us with 17 foreign players. Even if you sell Bravo you would still need to replace him with a foreign or association trained player.

if we keep Danilo, Maffeo would get no games and it would be pointless. He's done as much as can be asked at Girona, he deserves a chance and deserves responsibility. Hell, if we can hand left-back to Delph and Zin, we can hand one of our own young full-backs a go in their natural position. Delph would be additional cover at LB for Mendy and Angelino, Angelino would essentially have Zin's role, occasional games against weaker sides to learn and develop, giving Mendy a break, but if he struggles in those a bit or we have a particularly tight game coming up that Mendy's unavailable for, Delph can step in. Danilo is a problem in squad slots when we have 2 youngsters who we can use for free and who are really proving their worth on loan. Of course there will inevitably be times where we go "well, if only we had Danilo" but I think it's worth giving our lads a chance and Pep has proven he can find an answer if injuries look like crippling us in a position.

I think we should cash in on Zin because honestly he'll never get a shot in his preferred position and he's not good enough or got the concentration to depose even Delph at LB. He's done a great job but like many decent players at top clubs over the years, he's got some exposure so cash in and move onto the next lad who can do a job. If he goes away and turns into the AM version of Shevchenko then we can always bring him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.