It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes you believe Stones will come good this particular season?

We first need to protect out initial investment. He is on big wages and has entered the final two years of his deal.

Giving him a new deal works two-fold, it protects the above, in a marketplace where offers will be low-ball at best, coupled with a massive confidence boost to the player.

He needs to stay fit, but that's the risk for most players. He also needs to stay in the North West because of continuing access arrangements with his little girl.

I genuinely believe he is one of the best central defenders in the world at what he does and showing patience now could see us reap the dividends for years to come.

Of course City know their own requirements, bloody hell!

I'd rather sign a fit Stones to a new long-term deal than sign Koulibaly - and blow the fucking lot on a world-class defensive midfielder - Flanaghan's Law - Cocktails and Dreams.

It could have missed a lot of people by the other day, but Ake's comments last week were also interesting - Pep has asked him to prepare to be played in three positions this season - centre-back, left-back and holding midfield.
Our Lahm, perhaps.

Don't be surprised if Carson just isn't in the CL squad. Worst case scenario we can emergency recall Bazunu or Muric for a few CL games if Steffan and Ederson got hurt, they'd be at least as good as Carson.

Perhaps. Not sure of the logistics of recalling them, but certainly see the logic in excluding Carson from CL places, if it comes to that. Would not guess that is the club's planA though.

If everything we read in the media is true (I know), Koulibaly is our number 1, preferred CB option. If this is the case, I would love to understand the reasoning for dropping £40m on a back up CB and then potentially backing out of a deal for Koulibaly, over a few £m.

Here's an idea, don't spend £40m on the guy from the relegated side, who conceded goals for fun and instead use a portion of that £40m to get the deal for your number 1 target over the line.

How many times are we going to take the cheaper option and get our fingers burnt before we realise that buying X amount of £40m CBs and hoping they come good, instead of dropping £80m+ on the real deal, is a false economy?

All transfers can burn fingers...what convinces you Koulibaly wouldn't? He may not....but watching him in the ACON, i certainly wouldnt put money on it,he was a limping cart horse.

We first need to protect out initial investment. He is on big wages and has entered the final two years of his deal.

Giving him a new deal works two-fold, it protects the above, in a marketplace where offers will be low-ball at best, coupled with a massive confidence boost to the player.

He needs to stay fit, but that's the risk for most players. He also needs to stay in the North West because of continuing access arrangements with his little girl.

I genuinely believe he is one of the best central defenders in the world at what he does and showing patience now could see us reap the dividends for years to come.

Yeah the best at what he does, which is fucking things up at the back

I think Stones is an excellent player, ideally suited to the way we need to play - people buy into narrative - he has his mistakes highlighted simply because he is at one of the best teams in the world and he repeats them.

There isn't a central defender in the world who doesn't commit regular errors.

His biggest issue is his inability to stay fit and avoid knocks. He is also the England whipping boy.

Where were all these people in the media telling us what a worldy Van Dijk was before he moved to Liverpool?

I form my own opinions on players. Let me tell you, sitting in press boxes for 30 years, these people churning out supposed informed critique, know less than jack shit.

Stones is a two-time Premier League champion and will be hitting his peak in the next two years - we paid a premium for that privilege.

Now is not the time to throw the baby out with the bath water when we would have our pants pulled down on price.

Pep needs to grab him by the bollocks and give him a confidence boost.

Nobody is going to tell me that Eric fucking Garcia is a better player.

I don't think Pep trusts Stones too much,I have witnessed him ripping into him on more than one occasion during the game,even once after about 5 mins in,we have all said round us he don't like him.

Stones has answered him back as well at times with arm waving gestures,I just don't see a harmonious situation between those two at present

the numbers are 17+8 domestically, or 17+4+4 in CL.

We currently have 16+5.
+3 we can also include. (at least till garcia and angelino leave) and the 3 is not really relevant as they'd are category b.

So ake being home grown doesn't help much, one nhg slot is still down. We have no space as it is for another foreign signing, unless we lose either a hg or nhg player (excluding garcia and angelino who don't count towards that).

We ought to be able to just leave out a couple of duffers from the CL squad, if we can't get rid.

I suspect we will want to clear out 1 or 2 rather than do that though & that then could depend on other teams moving players out, in order to make space for them.

Denayer and Stones would be the perfect mix of competition and the right age profile, with, as you say, Harwood Bellis in reserve.

We have faced Denayer three times now and he has proved more than capable against our attack.

I don't want us blowing £70m plus on a central defender - that calibre of player just isn't out there at present IMO.

Use the money for a world class midfielder who can run and tackle.

Denayer over KK Upamacano Dias Skrinnar ? Even though Lyon play defensively ? Don’t get me wrong I would like Denayer at the right price but and I would like to save money to replace Fernandinho even tho I rate Rodri we need more energy my only concern is that Denayer might be more of squad player for us and we still have a lot of CB players to get rid of and some good prospects who need to be sold or get game time or be loaned Sandler Tosin Hardwood Bellis perhaps even Garcia but I suspect not

I don't think Pep trusts Stones too much,I have witnessed him ripping into him on more than one occasion during the game,even once after about 5 mins in,we have all said round us he don't like him.

Stones has answered him back as well at times with arm waving gestures,I just don't see a harmonious situation between those two at present

I would argue precisely the opposite. If you look at how Pep is with Sterling at times he can get extremely frustrated with Raz during games. I think it's more to do with Pep seeing the potential of both Stones and Sterling and driving them on to fulfill it.

Stones when fit and given a run of games is as good a centre back as we have at the club and I include Laporte in that. He needs to stay fit and get his Mojo back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.