It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone is an improvement on sane last season as he never played so in that sense we are already better off in the forward department than we were last season and we are better off in the defensive department on last season with laporte back and ake signed I'm sure there will be 1 or 2 more additions too.

Sane was a massive loss last season. Not only because he didn’t play and we lost all of his attributes but because the whole dynamic of the team and our forward play changed. We went from a left-footed winger on the left, a right-footed winger on the right and opposition being shit-scared of us, to inverted wingers passing to our full-backs for 90mins each week. With this in mind, I don’t think we will be better off in the forward department, because we have brought in a kid, who is never going to displace Sterling and is highly unlikely to displace Mahrez/Bernardo. The status quo remains.

I would agree with you if we didn’t continue to spend money where it doesn’t need to be spent. We’ve spent £20m on a prospect for the future, who will likely spend most of the season on the bench and £40m on a CB/LB who most agree is back up for other players. This doesn’t suggest that we are being more careful with a limited budget in difficult times. Surely a more frugal approach in these tough times would have been to spend the £60m where it’s most needed and call it a day?
Earlier you said we hadn't replaced Sane and Mahrez couldn't lace his boots. Now you dismiss Sane's replacement as 'a prospect for the future'. He's the same age and pedigree that Sane was when we signed him, and he'll be an important player for us, I'm sure. This season and in the future.

Earlier you said we hadn't replaced Sane and Mahrez couldn't lace his boots. Now you dismiss Sane's replacement as 'a prospect for the future'. He's the same age and pedigree that Sane was when we signed him, and he'll be an important player for us, I'm sure. This season and in the future.

When we lost Sane, we lost arguably the most exciting young winger in world football. The Sane we had in the 17/18 and 18/19 seasons, whilst sometimes erratic with his form, was clearly something very special. Hence him being coveted by the now European champions. Opposition were scared to death of him, the team as a whole looked better and more balanced with him in the side and I also believe we saw the best of Sterling, when he had Sane on the opposite wing.

I think it’s unfair to expect Torres to come straight in and have the same impact but unfortunately, a similar impact is what is needed because Mahrez and Sterling are nowhere near the Sane and Sterling levels. Mahrez is a talented player but in my opinion he isn’t a good fit for this City side. Not only he is not as good as Sane but the team and Sterling are not as good with him in it.

Sane was a massive loss last season. Not only because he didn’t play and we lost all of his attributes but because the whole dynamic of the team and our forward play changed. We went from a left-footed winger on the left, a right-footed winger on the right and opposition being shit-scared of us, to inverted wingers passing to our full-backs for 90mins each week. With this in mind, I don’t think we will be better off in the forward department, because we have brought in a kid, who is never going to displace Sterling and is highly unlikely to displace Mahrez/Bernardo. The status quo remains.

We made the change to inverted wingers long before it was enforced last season. In fact we have barely played with Sane and Sterling on the left/right respectively since the defeat away at Newcastle in Jan 2019. Bernardo and Sterling inverted on the wings played a massive part in us being so imperious during that run in and the domestic treble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.