It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when Arsenal offered the release clause +£1 for Suarez and Liverpool said no because that wasn't really exceeding the release clause? A couple of years later a Liverpool official said they were concerned Suarez and Arsenal would challenge that legally because they knew full well that it did exceed the release clause, and they'd have lost in court.

Likewise Barcelona will be just trying it on with the date thing out of desperation. It buys them a little bit of time and leverage to try to talk him round but I would be absolutely astonished if they were prepared to fight it all the way.

Wasn’t it just that it allowed them to talk to Suarez who duly told them to do one

I think it'll be similar to this. Either Barca accept that the clause he thinks he can trigger is applicable and he leaves as a free agent, or Messi is pissed that they're refusing, threatens to go down the Webster route, and City can agree a deal with Barca for the equivalent fee (around £70-100m). That could consist of players + cash, but I seriously doubt we'd go anywhere near discussing his buyout clause.
I wonder if that’s why Barca and City are at loggerheads regarding the Garcia valuation and transfer because both clubs were aware of the Messi background situation

Wasn’t it just that it allowed them to talk to Suarez who duly told them to do one

No they'd agreed terms with him but Liverpool just said no. Then they offered him a contract extension with a release clause to a club abroad, which is what he really wanted (Barcelona)

Maybe Tebag is a Madrid fan and he’d like nothing more than too see Barca lose Messi.

Tebas is a Madrid fan, but losing Messi is going to cost Real a lot of money as well.

La Liga built all their marketing around Messi vs Ronaldo for a decade. They've lost both, as well as all the supporting cast. Commercial revenue is going to take a massive hit if Messi goes and Tebas' number 1 priority is trying to match the Premier League for revenue.

One of the tweets on City Xtra said that Bartomeu wants to have a sit down with Messi, but Messi is refusing to meet with him and says his mind is made up. I think that's a really positive sign for us. If Messi sticks to his guns they will have to sell, it then just becomes a case of working a deal that Barca will grudgingly agree too (hopefully that's already going on).

It does sound like Messi has made up his mind, so if we can avoid Barca getting him round the table for negotiations etc I think we'll get him. Going to be a long few days while all this plays out though!

If this does come off, we might need to buy a LB, playing in Alba is basically Messi's favourite pass, since Alves left. And Alba and Alves are #5 and #3 on the list of most assists provided to Messi.

Even at his best I don't really see Mendy doing the same job, or Walker. Maybe Cancelo.

Depends how Pep would play him I suppose.

If this does come off, we might need to buy a LB, playing in Alba is basically Messi's favourite pass, since Alves left. And Alba and Alves are #5 and #3 on the list of most assists provided to Messi.

Even at his best I don't really see Mendy doing the same job, or Walker. Maybe Cancelo.

IF and that's a big IF. Mendy can actually maintain some fitness and form, I would've thought he would absolutely thrive in situations with that much space. Cancelo is pretty handy in attack as well but I'd personally prefer him on the right.

If I could see the actual contract term as well as the other potential force majeure clauses I could probably give you a reasonable interpretation. Without it everyone is guessing. However from the snippets I have read it seems to be a specific date clause each year. The question is one of intention in contracts. The likelihood is that the date is to reflect the end of the season, as the season was extended it is not unreasonable to expect the date to also be extended.

As far as I can remember, the latest champions league final was 3rd June and the date quoted is the 10th so 7 days after the latest game ever played before this season.
If it stands at within 7 days of the final game of the season then he has requested to leave with the 7 days period.

Out of our current options Angelino would probably be the best suited - a lot of Alba's passing/cut backs into the box in that video is very reminiscent his passing style. Perhaps doesn't have the pace of Alba to bomb forward as effectively though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.