It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fag packet economics have now started across so-called informed sources and outlets, we only need leave any affordability questions to the people who run our club. It was the same with the FFP experts.

Splitting up the offer over five years and including NYCFC in the pot means we can keep Messi's immediate wage costs down, and he can be paid handsomely at the back end and pick up yet another huge signing-on fee.

I have a hunch we will give Messi £50m to buy out his final year's basic salary and then we come to a sweetheart price on Garcia.

The fag packet economics have now started across so-called informed sources and outlets, we only need leave any affordability questions to the people who run our club. It was the same with the FFP experts.

Splitting up the offer over five years and including NYCFC in the pot means we can keep Messi's immediate wage costs down, and he can be paid handsomely at the back end and pick up yet another huge signing-on fee.

I have a hunch we will give Messi £50m to buy out his final year's basic salary and then we come to a sweetheart price on Garcia.

The one thing I haven't seen said about NYCFC coming in is that MLS themselves would get involved.

They essentially gave Beckham £375m when they promised him an expansion team for £25m (current fee is £400m). Admittedly they might not have predicted it'd be worth quite so much, but they knew it would be well into 9 figures by the time Beckham would be setting a club up - they've always been bullish about the growth of the league.

The back end pay day you're talking about might not even be paid for by CFG if MLS want Messi that badly.

Do you know if this was this specifically for this year or a lack of interest for a future transfer say next year or the year after?
th

If I could see the actual contract term as well as the other potential force majeure clauses I could probably give you a reasonable interpretation. Without it everyone is guessing. However from the snippets I have read it seems to be a specific date clause each year. The question is one of intention in contracts. The likelihood is that the date is to reflect the end of the season, as the season was extended it is not unreasonable to expect the date to also be extended.
If there is a specific date e.g. 31st May each year, they were at risk this year of him walking away mid-season and before the CL resumed. I'm guessing they wouldn't have wanted that, but it's all going to depend on the terminology. Problem will be if there is a specific date, the 'intention' would need to be agreed by both parties or you're into whatever dispute resolution is available. If that's the Spanish FA, I'd expect a negative outcome, meaning a trip to CAS and a prolonged argument which I'm sure everyone would rather avoid.
Suspect the latter is where the €100m comes from as Barca can suggest they've done the right thing by him by letting him leave below buy out, but they also get something for him when they could have lost him for free. Unfortunately, I suspect we'll have to pay it or wait for the arguments to end.

Telegraph football 'back page' is worth reading. Available on BBC gossip.

Contains comments from a sports lawyer who says that in a dispute over the terms of the contract, CAS would likely favour Barcelona.

Seems to me that although City maybe able to agree terms with Messi it will come down to whether City can agree a fee with barcelona because it would be too high risk to try and force through a free transfer.
So far I haven’t read any reason why the Webster rule can’t be invoked. If so the buy-out would be, if what I’ve read on here is correct, £70m.

So the bookends of the deal are basically £0 and £70m. If Messi is right, he can walk away from Barça and register with us as a free agent. If Barça are right he can do the same thing but only if he buys out his contract for £70m, which he would want us to reimburse. The deal to be done is the one that allows Barça to come away with something rather than SFA, and keeps our outlay lower than the £70m we might have had to pay.

There may well be a ‘Messi signs for City for an undisclosed fee’ headline on the way, as it allows both sides to save face.

If this does come off, we might need to buy a LB, playing in Alba is basically Messi's favourite pass, since Alves left. And Alba and Alves are #5 and #3 on the list of most assists provided to Messi.

Even at his best I don't really see Mendy doing the same job, or Walker. Maybe Cancelo.

Depends how Pep would play him I suppose.

Can work with any wide runner.

They did it to us & we did it to Manuel, works better than ever v stupid offside traps, which is why I'm even more surprised we have started using one.

So far I haven’t read any reason why the Webster rule can’t be invoked. If so the buy-out would be, if what I’ve read on here is correct, £70m.

So the bookends of the deal are basically £0 and £70m. If Messi is right, he can walk away from Barça and register with us as a free agent. If Barça are right he can do the same thing but only if he buys out his contract for £70m, which he would want us to reimburse. The deal to be done is the one that allows Barça to come away with something rather than SFA, and keeps our outlay lower than the £70m we might have had to pay.

There may well be a ‘Messi signs for City for an undisclosed fee’ headline on the way, as it allows both sides to save face.

“Undisclosed fees” always come out in the end though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.