It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sounds like Barca are in real financial trouble, why not accept a fee of City for Messi.Instead they would rather save face then do what is best for the club.

Rodri is a deep-lying playmaker rather than a defensive midfielder. His job isn’t to run around putting out fires anymore than Xabi Alonso’s was at Bayern. He’s there to transition the ball first and foremost

Yeah I know what Rodri’s style is, and no doubt he is quality, but I’m just not sure he’s the best fit. Honestly, it shouldn’t be too hard to find a defensive minded player, primarily, and who also has the ability to transition the ball. Every top def midfielder, Casemiro, Fabinho, Kanté, can do both. For me, there was too much focus on passing ability and not much else.

We’ll see what happens this season, but looking at how other teams attack us, it’s basically just a highway right through our midfield when Fernandinho is abscent.

Rhodri is decent if you're not expecting him to tackle too much and he does infuriate me when he let's players run past him so easily instead of just getting his bulk in the way. His job though is to collect the ball from deep and play through the lines - to counter the counter attack and to keep the ball moving when the opposition is sitting deep.

My most controversial opinion of last year is that most of our defensive mistakes were caused by playing Ferna at centre back - he's good at the last ditch tackle but would often find himself out of position doing that or giving the ball away. He caused pressure to be put on the defensive system and then panic spreads. He might win the ball but we didn't keep the ball. You can almost sense we are going to concede when our defence plays the aimless clearance 2 or 3 times in a couple of minutes. He was probably the best of a mixed bag though.

This is why we need ball players throughout the team and why we can't afford to give the ball away cheaply. Giving the ball away playing a searching probing pass from KDB is one thing but the crappy turnovers we were conceding last year playing simple passes is what caused us issues. Anyway this is for another thread.

Part of the frustration with this transfer window was signing Ake and Torres so early. We always say we want signings in early but then complain when it looks like we aren't using the whole window. I think we all crave a deadline day triumph but don't think that's how we want to do business.

Rodri is a deep-lying playmaker rather than a defensive midfielder. His job isn’t to run around putting out fires anymore than Xabi Alonso’s was at Bayern. He’s there to transition the ball first and foremost.

Obviously he is expected to weigh in with his share of interceptions and tackles (and headers, in Rodri’s case) but we don’t play with a shield in front of the back four.

Should we? Quite possibly, yes. But if Pep hadn’t inherited Fernandinho he wouldn’t have signed him

Fernandinho did both. From what I've seen of Rodri so far, he's incapable of either

Yeah I know what Rodri’s style is, and no doubt he is quality, but I’m just not sure he’s the best fit. Honestly, it shouldn’t be too hard to find a defensive minded player, primarily, and who also has the ability to transition the ball. Every top def midfielder, Casemiro, Fabinho, Kanté, can do both. For me, there was too much focus on passing ability and not much else.

We’ll see what happens this season, but looking at how other teams attack us, it’s basically just a highway right through our midfield when Fernandinho is abscent.
I think you will find that all 3 are not good enough on the ball to play out from the back like we do. You can't lose it in the middle of the pitch. Casemiro was terrible against us trying to do so. If you think we should hoof it then expect to play more of Mourinho ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.