It's Quiet Thread 15 - Txiki Blinders

Status
Not open for further replies.
The elephant in the room for me continues to be Sterling, because I think we need to contemplate a sale at the earliest opportunity.

Just my opinion, I have celebrated his goals and achievements with City just like everybody else, so not a statement to knock him, respectful of his time with us.

I have been watching him closely for the last 18 months or so since an obvious downturn in form.

I had put it down to fatigue and being overplayed, resulting in a lack of confidence.

However, I am seeing worrying signs it might be because he has actually peaked?

He was knocking on the first team door at the age of 15 and is more like 30 in playing years.

Raheem always had that spark which took him beyond his marker inside the first three or four yards, but he has lost his raw pace in my opinion.

It has made him indecisive and impacted his decision making.

The contract situation is a dilemma, but there is a point when it needs to be asked if he justifies being retained for another four or five years, never mind a regular starting place in the City team?

Raheem wouldn't be the first wonderkid to find his powers waning a little earlier than his age would suggest?

I always felt Michael Owen peaked at 22, he was absolutely electric beforehand, but his pace deserted him due to injuries.

Rooney hit 27 and the writing was obvious he wasn't the same player.

Perhaps we might even be seeing it with Kane?

All these guys have played a lot of football before their mid-20s.

As I say, merely for the topic of debate, I personally fear we may have already had the best of Raheem and was interested what other Blues felt, without it becoming a vilification of a player who has served us very well?
Fair point about Raheem, we , as a club may well have seen the best of him but unfortunately the timing for both parties could not be worse.

Two years left on his contract but on the back of a poor season he is not in a good negotiating position, but equally as a club, if we did say you can go, who is going to be in a financial position to buy him and with his form who would want him?

A club would have to spend a lot of cash in term of fee/contract to get Sterling, at this point in his career, a huge gamble.

Raz is the opposite of clinical, when he tries to dribble past players and tamely loses the ball and runs into a defender he can look hopeless. Other times he pops up in the right place at the right time he can win a game. I do not think he has "burnt out", just struggles with packed defences, our complicated stategies (he is not the only one) and constantly changing formation. Tries his best, i've no doubt, but often looks lost, But as long as Pep picks him that'll do for me.

unless we are happy to sell him for 50m there is no buyers out there no swap deals out there, he will either sign a new contract or leave in two years on a free..

I suspect it could be the latter, certainly the odds are stacked in his favour and he can afford to wait another 12 months and see what the market is like then.

The only way he could move this summer is as a makeweight and it would still have to be to a club of sufficient standing to make him think twice.

Pep playing him in the Champions League final was a difficult one to decipher, as it could be interpreted on many different ways?

Was he looking for the ultimate reaction and redemption from a player who was woefully out of form and hadn't been a consistent starter for weeks, was it a tactical nuance, or was it City needing to keep him sweet to sign an extension, protecting our investment?

I'm not sure outside of the two Madrid clubs, Barca and PSG, Raz would entertain anybody else right now?

And would they even want him?

I think the most difficult situation with Sterling is the contract delima. The real situation is that he is a player in seriously bad form for 18 months with 2 years left wanting wages on the level of Kevin De Bruyne.

Which puts the club in a really tough position because:

A) do you sell today? You potentially lose out on a 26 year old player that is English

B) sign him up to a new deal on KDBs level to "secure the asset". Which goes against the wage structure of the club in rewarding players for their performances

C) make a decision next season when the threat of him leaving becomes even higher due to his contract only having 1 year left on it

I'm at the point where I am "okay" in selling him. But at the same no club is paying over 70-80m the club would want
He scored 31 goals in 19/20 so I’m not having he’s had 18 months of bad form. He had a big dip this year and that coincides with City not play a cf for most of it.

I think he’s earnt the chance to come back and prove himself again. If we do sign a striker this summer which seems highly likely then hopefully that kickstarts his previous form for us. I like sterling a lot and if he can get that form back then he’s a huge asset for us.

I suspect it could be the latter, certainly the odds are stacked in his favour and he can afford to wait another 12 months and see what the market is like then.

The only way he could move this summer is as a makeweight and it would still have to be to a club of sufficient standing to make him think twice.

Pep playing him in the Champions League final was a difficult one to decipher, as it could be interpreted on many different ways?

Was he looking for the ultimate reaction and redemption from a player who was woefully out of form and hadn't been a consistent starter for weeks, was it a tactical nuance, or was it City needing to keep him sweet to sign an extension, protecting our investment?

I'm not sure outside of the two Madrid clubs, Barca and PSG, Raz would entertain anybody else right now?

And would they even want him?

Madrid would take him for publicity alone it’s how Perez works, I agree with you as well Sterling seems to have lost that yard of pace that was devastating and now is more panicked in the final third. He’s played a lot of football could just be declining. But he is declining at a abnormal rate from one of the best wingers in the world to struggling to get in the first eleven that’s a massive downfall

unless we are happy to sell him for 50m there is no buyers out there no swap deals out there, he will either sign a new contract or leave in two years on a free..

If anyone is williing to pay £50m for him we should take it.

£50m in the kitty and frees up substantial wages. Plus removes the dilemma over giving a bumper contract to a player whose performances clearly don't justify the commitment.

If we end up giving him a bumper 5 year deal to prevent him walking for free in 2 years time we will regret it. An underperforming player on massive wages is impossible to shift unless the club pays a big slice of his wages.

If I were Txiki I'd look to move him on now and be prepared for him to walk in 2 years. I would not be offering a bumper 5 year contract.

Also been thinking about strikers. Do most strikers hit their prime years after 24/25? If so Andre Silva should be hitting his prime right about now. He did show he’s a goal scorer last season in the bundesliga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.