It's Quiet Thread 15 - Txiki Blinders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rodri has many good qualities unfortunately for city he lacks the pace needed to play and dominate teams in England. His lack of awareness on the pitch when pressed causes our defence serious problems. Get after him and he will continue to pass the ball back to the defence.

I appreciate the different points of view but politely disagree on Rodri. His other qualities do not negate his lack of mobility.

I'd understand your opinion to an extent if you were talking about the CL (where, btw, we won all games in which Rodri started). But you are talking about "teams in England", given that City won the title by 12 pts and were 2 wins away from another domestic treble, with Rodri playing more minutes than any other player. With Rodri in the team, and without Fernandinho, we won against Liverpool 4:0 and 4:1, and they are the best at counter attacking in England.

We were losing games (against counter-attacking teams in England and Europe) before Rodri and we will lose games after Rodri. We lost a very important game vs Newcastle back in 2019 after a bad mistake by Fernandinho. Had Liverpool won their game in hand vs Leicester, our title challenge would have been over because of Fernandinho. Several weeks after that Fernandinho got injured, Gundogan replaced him at DM and we won all our games while conceding just 2-3 goals. Statistically, our defence was better with Gundogan at DM than with Fernandinho. And Gundogan isn't quicker than Rodri. So, there's that as well.

Also, the closest we came to beat Tuchel's Chelsea was with Rodri on his own in midfield. Had Aguero scored the pen, Rodri would have been praised for dealing on his own with Chelsea's midfield.

It's amazing how many City fans don't like many of the players who were just 3 wins away from the quadruple. It's naive to think we can easily upgrade on Rodri, Jesus, Sterling or Bernardo (unproductive!). Before the start of last season people thought we should move Gundogan and Mahrez. They were wrong.

I'd understand your opinion to an extent if you were talking about the CL (where, btw, we won all games in which Rodri started). But you are talking about "teams in England", given that City won the title by 12 pts and were 2 wins away from another domestic treble, with Rodri playing more minutes than any other player. With Rodri in the team, and without Fernandinho, we won against Liverpool 4:0 and 4:1, and they are the best at counter attacking in England.

We were losing games (against counter-attacking teams in England and Europe) before Rodri and we will lose games after Rodri. We lost a very important game vs Newcastle back in 2019 after a bad mistake by Fernandinho. Had Liverpool won their game in hand vs Leicester, our title challenge would have been over because of Fernandinho. Several weeks after that Fernandinho got injured, Gundogan replaced him at DM and we won all our games while conceding just 2-3 goals. Statistically, our defence was better with Gundogan at DM than with Fernandinho. And Gundogan isn't quicker than Rodri. So, there's that as well.

Also, the closest we came to beat Tuchel's Chelsea was with Rodri on his own in midfield. Had Aguero scored the pen, Rodri would have been praised for dealing on his own with Chelsea's midfield.

It's amazing how many City fans don't like many of the players who were just 3 wins away from the quadruple. It's naive to think we can easily upgrade on Rodri, Jesus, Sterling or Bernardo (unproductive!). Before the start of last season people thought we should move Gundogan and Mahrez. They were wrong.
Well said.

It's my opinion that no DM that we could buy would be as good as Fernandinho (caveat - I haven't seen enough, but I can't imagine there are too many that are up to his standard) but Rodri has put in some excellent performances for us over the last two seasons. So we have to ask ourselves is it worth shelling out millions to even try to buy a new DM?

Spain clearly rates Rodri and I'll be interested to see how he (plus Laporte and Torres) get on with Spain this summer.

Here's what at least one Spanish journalist thinks of him:-

The same counter argument only with more padding. Stats can be twisted to suit the stance you want to take. The wheels very nearly came off after the United defeat in the league. We limped over the line imo.

Pep was playing Gundo in the wrong position. He was moved to 10 and flourished. Mahrez was hit and miss until this season. The players performance was rightly scrutinised.

Man point remains: Rodri is slow and immobile.

A 36 year old had to step up again.

The Rodri you are talking about needs battlers and runners around him. Take those players out of the line up and we are sitting ducks with an exposed soft underbelly.

I feel like I’m going around in circles here and constantly repeating the same arguments. I will leave this discussion at the moment. It’s getting a bit tedious and that not an attack on you blue.

When did I ever say I don't like the Spanish National manager? Are you talking shit again...
Plus I never said "I don't like Rodri". I said "I don't think he is suited to the way we play and not convinced he can replace Fernandinho".

You carry on pulling one off thinking of Eric Garcia good lad.
I think rodri would be more suited going back to the spanish league where he has more time to show off his passing ability ,r madrid would be a good move for him.
You may laugh at my opinion but some of his game reminds me of retired ex madrid player redondo.

On luis enrique i think he may have a shout of being the next manager at city with his links with the spanish guys , when pg eventually calls it a day .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.