I've become a part time plane spotter

I watched a few this weekend sitting in daughter's garden in Norf Landan. Some possibly going to Gatwick, some on a different course, possible Heathrow, mainly 'cos they were much lower, and then there were those miles high that I decided had come from Manchester and were goin' to pick up those lazy beach bastards in Larncaca!

Used to have breakfast at the garden centre on Ringway rd, most days the planes would be coming from Stockport direction and low enough to see the pilot. A parade of 737's, boring boring, unless a crosswind livened things up especially for the company jets.
The real draw for me was the vortex whistling and moaning through the trees, once heard, never forgotten. HS 2 put an end to that, the restaurant was in the way. Bastard.

Just in case anyone has any relatives flying to LA from London on Norwegian Airlines, you'll be pleased to know they just flew over and all looked fine

Used to have breakfast at the garden centre on Ringway rd, most days the planes would be coming from Stockport direction and low enough to see the pilot. A parade of 737's, boring boring, unless a crosswind livened things up especially for the company jets.
The real draw for me was the vortex whistling and moaning through the trees, once heard, never forgotten. HS 2 put an end to that, the restaurant was in the way. Bastard.

Without wanting to be pedantic, it's the A555 that's cut through Primrose Nursery on Ringway Road, nothing to do with HS2. However, if you do like looking at the planes another great spot if you have a car or on a bike is around the back of the airport on Altrincham Road/Wilmslow Road (A538) just by the roundabout by the smaller airport tunnel is the old Altrincham Rd and there is a little lane to park up. Go through the gate and follow the track up the hill, through the next gate, about 25 yards further on there is a gap in the fence go up the hill. Plenty of aircraft spotters up there whatever the weather. Of course, there's no cafe or seating but for half an hour/hour to pass by if you're fit enough to stand that long and like planes, you'll enjoy it.

Yesterday I got the opportunity to get an upclose look at a Grumman F7 Tigercat. They were specifically built for the USN and USMC back in the 50's, reminded me of a Hornet or Mosquito. The engines are a thing of beauty and the noise...holy shit

Some fucker on here introduced me to Flightradar. When I see a big yoke busting out trails I'm on the app looking at where it took off from.
Great site.

It was probably me. Sorry about that. It, along with some reasoned deduction, worked a treat in the LaPorte transfer thread. And of course we have @brooksy76 at MAN to help us once they land!

I don't use it too often but I fly a lot for work, so when trying to figure out when United Airlines is going to screw me by telling me flight XXX is YY minutes late I can figure out precisely the actual multiplier of YY (usually 2-5 times YY) by tracking the inbound aircraft that will become my outbound.

I've got flightradar and am always on it. Where I live you get the Heathrow transatlantic flights going over at about 30 thousand feet and the Irish and Scottish flights going into London and Europe.
The best plane I love spotting is the Antonov 12, cavok air cargo and you can usually hear it coming from a distance with it's familiar drone sound of its engines.
Love flying and am a massive plane spotter geek nerd.

Yesterday I got the opportunity to get an upclose look at a Grumman F7 Tigercat. They were specifically built for the USN and USMC back in the 50's, reminded me of a Hornet or Mosquito. The engines are a thing of beauty and the noise...holy shit
2 P and W 18 cylinder double-wasps, proper raspers, plus the prop-tips going supersonic they dont get much louder, maybe the B29,.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.