I've Ditched Sky - What Are My Options?

We did this with my mum. She has dementia and Sky was confusing her and annoying the crap out of us having to go round and sort it out. We cancelled Sky and got a normal TV ariel man to change everthing back to ' normal ' TV using the old ariel in the loft. It's still fine after 8 mths but she only watches the news. She has a choice of 14 channels and a few radio stations.

Had enough of Sky, so I've cancelled. Now, I'm about to move to a tiny village with no fibre optic and very crap broadband (2Mb). What I'd like to know is: what are the options for getting the football on TV? I've no idea how any of these box thingies work, and I've no idea what else is out there.

I'd love some detailed advice - maybe you could advise me or point me to a suitable website?

Any advice gratefully received.

Either learn how to use something like Acestream or get a snide box.

Edit: 2mb? Best keeping to browser matches. Ie Shady's links. These browser links are getting better every season.

Last edited:
Check this site http://skymanstvheaven.tv
Got a firestick of them and a zgemma box.
Zgemma has Full sky package with sports, setanta, bt, premier sports and box nation.
Fire stick comes with Netflix, Hulu, kodi and tons of other stuff. Also nbc sports for the 3 pm games. Over £1000 a year difference since ditching my virgin package.

is this box with a yearly sub. ?

that site seems to also offer IPTV subscription services... presumably i could just buy the subscription service and connect through a browser?

YOu buy one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OpenBox-V5S-F5S-HD-FTA-TV-Satellite-Receiver-Box-/251595961433

Which comes with an annual 'free gift'

It connects using the existing dish and cables and although it does need to be connected to the internet for the 'sharing' its not data heavy.

Some people I know very well have had one with no real issues and saved about £1500 over two years too.
Thanks for this Fbloke. Sorry for the stupid questions, but do you just pay your £44 and that's it?

Also, you mentioned the 'free gift,' but it says:

"►NO GIFT/C LINE INCLUDED

No Any Premium Channels Included (Like Sports, Movies etc.)"

Should I be concerned?

It also says something about having to add the channels yourself. Is this difficult for a techno dweeb such as myself?

@fbloke - so will that box work with a very slow internet connection? Does it just need a small amount of data from the internet?

Also - how do you go about acquiring the 'gift'?

Final stupid question for now: does the 'gift' mean a subscription? If so, does it have to be renewed each year?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.